Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 4 weeks ago

Why was Camilla in a 22-year marriage to Andrew Parker Bowles, the father of her children?

Andrew divorced her when the now infamous Camillagate scandal provided evidence to the public of her extramarital affair with Prince Charles. Why was she ever married to Andrew to begin with?

Isn’t it promoted by the palace that Charles and Camilla only ever loved each other from their first meeting? If so madly in love, why did they marry others? 

Were Charles and Camilla honest with their respective first spouses about not loving them since they only ever loved each other? Why did Camilla carry on a sham marriage for 22 years? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Clo
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

As has been explained to you many times before, Camilla wanted to marry Andrew Parker Bowles. Charles was not a romantic interest in those early days to Camilla. It has not been promoted by the Palace that Charles and Camilla only loved one another. Some ill-informed gossipers have pushed this belief, but the credible biographers have made it clear that Charles was not interested in marrying at the time and Camilla wanted to marry Andrew Parker Bowles and had been dating Andrew, and only Andrew when she met Charles. As soon as Charles was off to serve in the Navy, Camilla married Andrew. Unfortunately, Andrew turned out to be a serial philanderer---something he had always been but Camilla chose to ignore this.

• 4 weeks ago

I really don't know and only the people involved would really know or understand that.   But I believe Camilla is a sensible woman and saw how it was re marrying Charles (I don't think they were both 'madly in love' really).  I also believe it more likely she was in love with Parker Bowles, but that quickly soured when he started playing around, especially with her friends.  Clearly Camilla wanted a family which at the time, she knew wasn't going to happen, with Charles. 

She had enough and divorced him - long before what you call the Camillagate scandal.  

I think Charles intended to make his marriage to Diana work, but not only was their age difference difficult, they had very little in common.   Some arranged marriages do work, but not often and this was one that didn't.

• 4 weeks ago

because she could not marry Charles as she was Unsuitable at the Time

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Camilla wanted charles to commit,but she was not considered proper queen material, she was not a virgin, and had past relationships, charles joined the navy, when he returned he found that she had married andrew, it was ok at first but andrew had a lot of affairs with various women ( some the wives of friends) she connected with charles again, the rest is history.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • The upper classes are notorious for marrying for status, stability and children, then having affairs of the heart.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Andrew had plenty of extra-marital affairs of his own. They had something of an open marriage, and as he was Catholic, divorce was low on the agenda. By the time they divorced they had lived apart for years. The real reason they eventually did divorce was because it was evidently over and he wanted to marry his long-term mistress, Rosie Pitman.

• Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

I believe, and only those involved KNOW, that Parker Bowles played around a lot but it was only when he started having affairs with Camilla's friends, that she'd had enough and they divorced.

• Moya
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Charles was married to Diana at that time.

Camilla  was married at the time as well.

Camilla  stayed marrird for her kids 

• 4 weeks ago

If you cut off her head and bring it to me, maybe I can dissect her brain and provide the answers you seek. Probably not, but maybe.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.