Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

Is a baby who is 10 months old too old to sleep in the same room as mom?

• sarah

Honestly, most mamas I know would say no. My daughter is eight months and sleeps in bed with me and her daddy, and I've stressed about whether or not she's "too old" for that a lot. Pretty much every mom I've known who co-slept or had the baby in a crib in their room said they didn't even attempt to move them into a room of their own until they were 2-3 years old. A few of them had four-year-olds who were still sharing a bed/room with them until one day, the kid decided he/she was ready for their own space, tried one night sleeping solo, and never came back.

This baby will only be a baby for a short time...and once that time is up, you can never get it back. Then, before you know it, he/she will be a moody teenager who wants nothing to do with you. Enjoy the closeness while you've got it. :)

• GB

If  you are one of the parents, and would prefer  not to have your baby sharing your room. then move them into their own  one.

This is a very personal choice.

Each couple (or single parent) needs to decide what is right for their children and their life style.

Personally, my babies slept in their own crib in my bedroom until the age of six months.  At six months, the crib was moved to the bedroom closest to my bedroom and a baby monitor was used.  I heard too many stories of parents who were ready to move their children out of the "family bed" or "family bedroom", but the kids weren't ready to go or couldn't sleep in a different room.  For those reasons, I thought it best to move them too a different room before they were old enough to really notice the change.  It was actually a very smooth transition.If the child is in their own bed - it is much better than sharing the bed with you - so hopefully, they have their own bed in your room.  The age you give them their own room is completely up to you.  If they are sleeping in their own bed, it will make the transition easier.I will say this - as children get older, having children sleeping in your room can put a damper on romance with  your partner.  (if you have one)  I knew of a couple that had to wait for their children to go to sleep and then they would sneak out of their bedroom to go to one of the other bedrooms for a little "adult time".

Humans are unique in that they expect their vulnerable young to sleep "upstairs and down the hall" all alone. A lot of adults don't even like to sleep alone.

My two and three years olds sleep in toddler beds in my room. They used to sleep in my bed, but they gradually branched out when they felt ready. They will move to their own rooms when they feel ready, too.

My newborns slept in their room from the 'get go'.  Yes, I had a monitor in there also.  

Yes, a 10 month old is too old to be in your bedroom!

Not necessarily ...But this toddler is capable of sleeping in it's OWN room too . ...

No is the short answer.

• edward

4 months was when i started sleeping in my own room. My son...same. If he can sleep through the night, he’s old enough

My baby is 21 months now but is autistic and her crib is still in my room.

• Jill

I think so.