Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 4 weeks ago

Does my ballet teacher have something against me?

I used to take ballet as a kid, and I wanted to get back into shape, so I'm taking a beginners ballet class in college. At first, my teacher seemed okay, but after my first day of class, she began to single me out. She's always correcting me on things that have nothing to do with ballet. First, she told me to wear a "real" ballet skirt because it wasn't transparent (even though the skirt I was wearing was given to me by a professional ballet dancer). The next day (wearing a skirt worthy of her class), she pretty much ignored me until the end of class, then looked at me as she reminded the whole class not to wear jewellery and to keep their hair above the neck (and I was the only one in class wear jewellery and a low bun). The next day I hadn't eaten yet so I was hungry and feeling weak. During plies, I felt lightheaded so I leaned against the bar, she asked what I was doing so I asked if I could get a drink. She said, "If you have to sit down, then sit down. You can't be walking back and forth during class." Everyone in the class turned to look at me like I'd done something wrong by asking for water. The way she said it told me that was she really meant was for me to sit out the rest of the class, like she was punishing me. I sat out the rest of the class while she got mad at someone else for yawning, then proceeded to tell the class that yawning was not allowed in her class. I'm convinced she either has a problem with me for whatever reason, or she has control issues.

It would appear so, but having said also appears to be in the wrong profession judging by her attitude towards her students. I know it might feel as though you're the pone losing out, but why pay someone if all they can do is make you feel like s**t? There's professionalism and there's also bullying which she appears to be hellbent on doing to get across pointers that possibly should be pointed out, however, there are ways and means to achieve her goal/point. 

Okay, first of all, jewellery is NOT allowed in class for your own safety and for the safety of your partner if you're doing partner work.

As about the transparent skirt, every dance school has their own rules.

Lastly, you can't go to dance in a completely empty stomach! Eat something at least two hours before you go to class and have a light snack later on if you feel hungry.

There is a certain standard expected within a ballet class and the jewellery & hair are part of it and the skirt to some degree.   However,  all of this should have been sorted prior to taking the class and she sounds like she is thinking you are being deliberately disobedient.  

Why not go to her and apologise and explain that you've been a little naive in what is expected and go from there.

Regarding the food and lightheadedness you shouldn't even be trying to take a class with no nutrition inside you and tbh if you felt lightheaded just doing a plie I would have sent you to either sit down or go and find something to eat. It wasn't just water you needed and as you couldn't get past the plie's without feeling lightheaded then you were not going to make it through the rest of the class and on to allegro and as you are her responsibility once in her class she was right to tell you to go and sit out. 

Go and talk to her.  

Did your professor tell you on the first day of class that you weren’t allowed to wear jewelry during class? If so, I think it would have been good to remember that direction and follow it. If not, then having wore jewelry during class might have been more understandable, but probably a good idea to just remember not to for all the following ballet classes.

Also, why haven’t you eaten before class? If it is due to your time schedule and the business of it, try to find a way to eat before class (maybe get something that can be eaten on-the-go). If it is because you are unable to get enough food each day without assistance, some colleges have food banks/pantries for students, or depending on your situation you could try to get support from outside food banks or public assistance.

I believe drinking enough water is important, but next time, perhaps bring your own water bottle to class, and perhaps drink water before class. That way, the need to drink water during class might lessen, and IF drinking water is allowed during class, you won’t have to go out to get a drink, and if not, might be easier to be able to drink water immediately before and after class. (However, if you need to drink water or rest at times during class because of a medical condition, speak with your professor as soon as possible; also in cases of signs of a real medical (e.g. breathing difficulties, chest pain, signs of stroke, or other medical dangers) or other emergency (e.g. signs of fire or earthquake) during class inform the professor.)

I honestly do not have any real idea whether or not your professor has something against you or not because I don’t know her, and cannot read anybody’s mind. However, I think it is probably unlikely (really I think it is not very useful wondering about that because you probably won’t know for sure), and quite possible that she is just trying to be clear in the expectations for the class, and trying to set high behavioral standards. If you want to drop the class or if practical take a a different instructor’s class for whatever reason, then change or drop the class before it’s too late to change or drop it (though if you drop it of course you would still need to follow the class directions before you drop it). So as a college student myself, I think from now on, just following the class instructions may be helpful; also, please try your best to keep hydrated as well as eat before class because I can’t really imagine how anyone could have any energy to participate in a ballet class without having eaten during the day.

The teacher is simply telling you what she expects in her class. You're the one taking it personally. Simple solution: do what the teacher expects and you won't have any more problems.