Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 months ago

What do you think of the book Lolita and the movies about the book?

• Amber

It's one of my favourite books of all time! The movies were good but can't hold a candle to the book.

When I was fourteen I was a book worm. My Grandfather had a library full of the classics because that was all he would read. I was reading some book and he took it off me and said:

"If you're going to read then READ." And he gave me Lolita. After that he gave me Anna karenina. Then Stephen Crane. 

I think the first half of the novel is brilliant. The second half was a bit tedious with all their travelling around.

Stanley Kubrick's film version was hilarious and wonderfully cast with James Mason and Shelley Winters, but I found the later version by Adrian Lyne to be sadder (which ultimately the book is), more true to the novel as far as events in the story go, and there is nobody dreamier than Jeremy Irons. Mason and Irons were both great picks as Humbert.

I enjoyed both. Is this an opinion poll?

It turned my stomach. Child trafficking/pornography of children isn't something most can look at objectively.

It's based on a true story about a man and girl in New Jersey. 

• Andrew

The novel is absolutely brilliant. The films don't even begin to compare to it. 

• Phil

I like to identify somewhat with a main character in a book or movie, but II can't really do that as he is a pedophile .

The book was banned for many years in many countries.

In that song by The Police" Don't Stand So Close" they sing of " That book by Nabokov "  obviously refering to " Lolita".

edit. I forgot to mention that I have never read the book or seen the early 60s movie with Sue Lyon and Peter sellers, etc but I did see the film about 1997 which had Jeremy Irons playing the role of Professor Humbert Humbert. It was pretty good as I find him a great actor.By then the controversy had died down and I quite enjoyed it. 

Here is a link to 221 reviews of the 1997 movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119558/reviews?ref_=...

I have not read the book, but I do not take it as a great sign when the author publicly condemns it.  As for the film... Well, it wasn't for me.  It's slow paced, dull, and there's no one in the film you give a damn about.