Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Can road bikes handle as much abuse as hybrids?

I am new to cycling...and wanting to buy a decent budget bike like a brain perhaps...so I need expert advice to choose between road and hybrid bike... because our roads are unimaginable without potholes every inch ...India..so please do suggest me an option between those 2 varieties

Sorry, I meant BTWIN... my keyboard did it

• pmt853

If the roads really are rough I'd go for an MTB as the tyres, wheels and frame will absorb many of the potholes. If you can afford decent suspension that's even better. Consider a cyclo-cross as being more robust than a road bike but lighter and, other things being equal, faster than a hybrid. Get the best quality bike you can reasonably afford, try, try, try before you buy, and remember to budget for helmet, suitable clothes, lights etc and get the bike serviced regularly by a competent professional. Cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

• Coward1 month agoReport

What you wrote has all I need...thank you much

A "budget bike" of any kind won't handle rough roads on an everyday basis.  And there is NO SUCH THING as a "decent budget bike".  When you lower the price, you also lower the quality.  In American dollars, you're looking at least $500 to $550 for a "decent" hybrid and $700 (plus) for a good road bike.  

As pointed out by David in the first answer...a road bike's frame & fork can handle it.  But the thinner wheels with fewer spokes can NOT!  At least, not the factory wheels.  You NEED wheels with a minimum of 32 spokes - preferably 36 per wheel + double wall rims.  Wheels "hand built" too - not cranked out by a machine.  

What I'm going to recommend is a completely different type of bike.  It's called a "touring bike".  They're built tough to last.  God knows it won't be a fast or light bike - usually coming in somewhere around 30 lbs. or more.  They usually come with tires 700 X 35c or wider.  Plus the stronger double wall rims with 36 spokes per wheel.  The lowest priced major brand name I can think of comes from Fuji at $899.99 (American dollars).  http://www.fujibikes.com/usa//bikes/road/adventure...    My own touring bike from Raleigh (sadly, no longer made) now has over 11,000 trouble free miles on it - with routine maintenance.  I use it for everything from daily commuting to getting groceries & even one to five day adventures out 'touring' with both front & rear panniers (saddle bags).   

• David

Road bikes can be sturdier than people think. At least as far as forks and frames go.

But (light) road bike wheels may not hold up well to frequent hard hits.

If you are worried about road conditions, get a bike with at least 32, preferably 36 spokes in each wheel. And rim width, frame/fork clearance enough to take something like 35 mm wide tires.

Have the wheels trued & tensioned by a good wheel builder.

If you can find wheels built with butted spokes, even better.

Personally, I’d prefer the slightly more upright position of a hybrid for (really) poor roads, as it can make it a little easier to have a good view forward.