Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 8 months ago

London had more murders per capita than NYC for the first time in history. And guns have been illegal for decades. Now what do they do? ?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

because most of them where knives not guns

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

That is not true. The media in the UK is very misleading. The murder rates has just been high in some months while others it's been low. You need to read more into these things. Overall in the U.S. crime is higher and many inner city areas are very dangerous to walk around in. While in the UK it is not like that. I live in an inner city area myself and come home pass midnight. Nothing has ever happened to me living here.

• 8 months ago

There were 2 months where for reasons unknown there was a small spike in the number of murders in February and March 2018, whereas New York had a decrease in the number of murders in the same month. Of all the murders in London, a very small minority were gun related, most were knife related and between gangs outside the centre of London, in areas that are well known for knife crime. Because of that, you are very unlikely to be a victim, or even see a murder on the streets of London, and that is why London is one of the safest major cities in the world.

• 8 months ago

Somebody pulled one statistic just to be dramatic. "Some newspapers, amplified in social media, reported murders in London exceeded those in New York (a city with the same population) for the first time in February 2018.[2] However, the month was an exception[3]. New York has always had a much higher murder rate.[4]. New York recorded 57 murders during January through March 2018 whereas London recorded 45.[5] More recent data shows that, between January and June 2018, New York's 141 homicides was nearly twice that of London's 80 homicides.[6][7]"

Also, New York is now relatively safe as a US city, with fewer murders than, for example, Chicago. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Your got your information wrong. Most murders are with knives,

• 8 months ago

total rubbish ...new york 299 ..london 145

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

That story is from April 2018, so its old news.

• 8 months ago

No there hasn't. Get your facts straight.

• 8 months ago

Lies, Damned Lies, And Statistics: Why London’s Murder Rate Is Not Higher Than NYC’s

Was The Claim True?In the narrowest sense, the claim was actually true for a short period of time. There was a short stretch in early 2018 in which there were fewer than expected murders in New York City and an unusually high number of murders in London.  This occurred in February and March of 2018.  However, even during that quarter-year, there were more murders in New York City than London due to a great disparity in January of 2018.

According to New York’s figures, there were 295 murders in 2018.  This yields a murder rate of 3.42 per 100,000 population in 2018.According to London figures, there were 128 murders in 2018 in the London Metropolitan Police boroughs of Greater London, i.e. everything except the City. The Daily Mail claimed a total number of murders in greater London as 134, and the Telegraph also repeated this figure. This figure of 134 includes one murder from the City of London.  I cannot account for the discrepancy between the 128 and 133 figures for the Metropolitan Police. However, assuming the higher figure of 134 murders as correct, the murder rate for London for 2018 is 1.52 per 100,000 population.-----Thus, NYC's 3.42 is BIGGER than London's 1.52.Thus, this 'question' was just More Fake News from Lying Contards !

• 8 months ago

they might get guns illegally

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.