Can my stepmother adopt me legally even though I (21) have a loving mother?

My mother lives in Germany and I live in America. She’s a good mother, but I rarely see her and it isn’t like I can put her on a lot of official forms since she lives in another country. I love my stepmother and want her to officially adopt me, but would that terminate my birth mothers rights? What rights does my birth mother even have if she lives in another country?

Edit to clarify that I do not want to strip my bio mothers rights at all.

Your 21 you don't need someone to look after you

• kitta

Your mother is your legal "next of kin" and as such she has the right to be notified if you are injured, missing, in trouble, etc. If you were to be adopted she would not have that right anymore.

If you needed a biological relative to help with medical history, who could supply that for you? your biological mother would lose her "filial" connection to you if you were adopted.

Adoption has a way of severing family connections forever in ways that people cannot imagine until it happens. 

You and she would become as if you never knew each other, never had a connection at all. Your name would be changed, and you would get a new birth certificate that says that your step-mother gave birth to you!

Have you thought about the effect this would have on your mother in Germany? She would surely wonder why you were doing this. Adoption in the US is not a halfway thing. 

Yes, it is legal.

Yes, adoption by your step mother would terminate your original mother as your legal mother.  It would erase her off your birth certificate, and replace her with your step mother.

Adoption, by its very nature, will strip your biological mother of all legal rights. (Since you're an adult, those rights are probably limited to inheritance rights if you die without children and without a will, or the right to make medical decisions for you if you're ever incapacitated.) Adoption makes you a legal stranger to your biological relatives. It severs the legal connection between you and your family of origin.

You probably don't need to be adopted in order to accomplish whatever you're after. You can make a will, create a power of attorney for healthcare, etc., without being adopted. You can also list anyone you want as your emergency contact on work or school forms.

• kitta

some places require that emergency contacts must be your next of kin or closest relative, so you cannot list just "anyone you want" on the form

Talk to an attorney.  At 21 you can make your own decisions.

I'm stuck on why a legal adult needs to have a parent available to sign official forms. No 21 year old I know needs their parents to sign official forms. Your stepmother can be your emergency contact without her adopting you. You are an adult.

At the age of 21 - there is NO REASON that this should even matter at all.

If  you need to list  your mother on any forms - you list your biological mother no matter what country she lives in.

For your stepmother to adopt you, your mother would need to sign over all legal rights.  So - YES - it would strip your bio mothers rights if you did this.

Also, since you are already an adult, it might be impossible for your stepmother to adopt you.  Adults usually can't be adopted.  In the case of stepchildren, the rules might be a little different - but still - you are an ADULT.

• Jill

A 21-year-old cannot be legally adopted.