Anonymous

Should I sign his card?

A colleague has made it very clear in the past (through gestures not words!) that he is attracted to me. All the while he has been in a committed relationship, and he recently got married. He is otherwise very liked by all in our group, is an excellent worker, and has always been very professional whenever he has needed to interact with me directly at work. As is the custom in our group, a card will be passed around congratulating him on his tying the knot. 

BUT..should I sign knowing what I know??? It just feels weird to me...what should I do in this situtaion???

Favorite Answer

You sign the card. Just "best wishes" and sign the card. In your life, this is an entirely casual reality just as if it'd be if it were anyone else you work with. Business as usual.

Sign the card and forget him. He liked you enough to maybe flirt with you - but not enough to make it public and he's marrying the woman he loves and wishes to be with. That is NOT you. If you don't sign the card and wish him well makes you look sulky.....and if confronted by someone saying so, what would you say? 'Oh I think he's attracted to me and his marriage is a sham' Think about it. How is that going to sound and how are you going to be viewed eh? Nobody is going to believe it because, actually, as you say

• chris n

You just 'think' he's interested in you.  

It's up to you. But if he was never overt about his attraction to you you should always consider the idea that maybe he's just a little flirty with everyone and it didn't really mean anything to him.

• Alan H

Naturally, you should sign it.

You may well have seen more than was there 

Sign the card or everyone else will be wondering why you didn't then tell him he is married now so don't be hitting on you.

If he hasn't told you explicitily that he's interested in you, it might be the case that you misinterpreting his intentions and he's just been friendly with you.

Either way, in order to keep a professional and normal relationship with him, sign the card. I don't see the problem with it,

Sign your name, just to make it look like you are part of the workplace. You don't need to do anything more.

• g

So he was attracted to you, that's what you know. That happens sometimes. I'm not sure why that would feel weird.