Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

My son with autism is obsessed with this cartoon character?

Hello. We're having an issue with my autistic son being severely obsessed with this cartoon character named "Stewie" from the Cartoon Network television series "Family Guy." He spends hours watching "Family Guy" related videos on YouTube, browses pictures of Stewie on Google Images, has pictures of Stewie on his binder (for schoolwork), draws pictures of him, and carries a plush toy of him around in public (I purchased this for him back before I knew he was gonna go too far with this). He's asked me if he could bring his plush toy to school, I tell him that he is too old to do this and he needs to start acting more mature than he acts now (for his age). He tries to hold his Stewie plush toy while doing his homework, but I don't allow that. I also suspect his obsession is causing him to receive bad grades in school, he's received all "Cs" except for his social skills class (with an "A") so far. I spoke with his teachers regarding his IEP, and his special ed teachers say they think using the plush toy would help him. I feel this will only make him look silly and will cause him to be bullied and hurt frequently.

If this were my daughter, I'd be ok with all of this (regardless of her age), but I'm definitely not going to let my son fool around over a cartoon character!

And no, I'm not worried about him becoming gay, I'm worried about him being mocked in public as he ages with an immature personality (I'm trying to protect him).

What do you guys think?

Favorite Answer

maybe he should get some counseling, it might help him out

How old is your son, if he's an older child such as a middle school or highschool aged child then this isn't really a big deal as long as he's not hurting anyone. If he's really little such as a child whose under the age of 5 then that's not good. However even as young as 6 I don't have any problems with kids watching things like the Simpsons or even King of the Hill if It's being monitored. I myself have seen these shows on television at that age and I not only turned out fine but I didn't even know that these were adult cartoons until I was much older. As for your son getting picked on well he's probably already getting picked on because of his disability so a Stewie doll isn't going to change that.

You didn't specify his age. 

I have autism myself. If he's in high school, Family Guy and material associated with it is fine. If he's younger, then that's a cause for concern. I'm 16 and LOVE watching South Park. As long as his obsession isn't harming him or others, it's OK. BTW, saying you'd be OK if your daughter was doing this but not your son is sexist. 

I am shocked beyond belief that you do not understand that an autistic child is susceptible to have an obsession over something. Your son's obsession is harmless. Howsoever, you can't make your son into something he's not. He is who he is and unfortunately he has autism, which you need to learn more about in order to help your son through his journey in life. Only 17% of autistic children who grow into adulthood can live alone independently.

If your child has a toy that the people who educate him in school say is okay to have, then I suggest you listen to the educators who know more than you do.

You're stupid comment about your difference in opinion if this was your daughter, is more ignorant than words can describe.

I think you should work on your story telling skill. All that waffle for what exactly?

• Logan

I think you need to get over your issues with it and let him do what makes him comfortable. He doesn't care about what it'll do to his reputation, being heavily autistic makes him a target for bullies any way and if they're not already bullying him for his disability then a Stewie doll is not going to make a difference.

I don't think protecting him matters to you at all.

I think you're worried that you'll be embarrassed.

You shouldn't even let him watch family guy in the first place it rated for adults. Yes, you can say "well it's on cartoon network" yeah but only after dark where kids have fallen asleep and adults can watch it alone because it's inappropriate. Maybe if stop him from watching adult shows he would stop obsessing over Stewie

• Charlie1 month agoReport

At Michael, yeah but he could also be a teenager because despite still being kids, they're still old enough to watch the show.

You don't have any children.   Darwin award winner of the week.

This is old news, troll. You've trolled about this for years