Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPC · 4 weeks ago

Does a gaming PC windows 10 play Blu Rays?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Yes you can play blue rays on a PC, you need an external blue ray player though

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

No

DVD and Blu-Ray drives were slowly phased out within that last 4-8 years. Although the writing was on the wall 10 years ago. 

PC cases that custom PC builders use rarely come with a 5.25" Internal drive bay. If the case/chassis has one of these drive bays then you can install an internal Blu-Ray drive.

The best solution is to get an external Blu-Ray player for the PC. You can use the VLC media play to play the movies.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes,knwo\?youtold not clarified,Ask in hoarmonised and true sentences only!

• 4 weeks ago

Sure, if it has a blu ray drive

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Due to mass adoption of digital distribution (including video streaming services) & broadband internet connections, optical drives (like CD, DVD & BluRay drives) are NO LONGER STANDARD EQUIPMENT since 2010.  Even the big name developers & publishers that choose to release a physical version are choosing to go with DVD-ROM over BluRay, mostly for system compatibility (& possibly to avoid paying licensing fees & royalties to Sony).

With that said, you can still purchase an optical drive as an internal OR a USB external drive.  BluRay drives will need to be purchased online OR at a more dedicated electronics, computer OR office supply store as the department stores (like Walmart & Target) & game stores (like GameStop) won't stock such items.  Department stores may stock an external USB DVD burner for ~$30.

If you choose to go with an internal drive (for desktops), you'll want to pick up drivers from the manufacturer for optimal performance as Microsoft may not have the latest (or optimal) drivers in Window's driver repository.  Same can be said for external USB drives for optimal performance, but the default generic drivers in Window's driver repository will do the job.

It's ultimately your choice if you want to obtain a BluRay drive for your system, but just be aware that you most likely won't be using it for gaming purposes.

• 4 weeks ago

Due to the lack of an optical drive, none of mine do.

• 4 weeks ago

Most PCs will not come with one, but you can always buy a Blu Ray player and compatible software to make it happen.

The last two PCs that I've built both have BR drives in them.

• 4 weeks ago

If the PC in question has a Blu-Ray drive and a compatible software to playback Blu-Ray movies, then yes.

Unfortunately, Blu-Ray never caught on with PCs as they did with game consoles, so most PCs you find that still have optical drives only read CDs/DVDs, not Blu-Rays. You can install a Blu-Ray player, but it will be an extra expense depending on the model in question. The other thing to consider is the software. Blu-Ray movies require capable software on the PC. This is usually software that you have to pay for every certain years. Just as an example of mine: I bought an LG external Blu Ray drive. it came with the software to play Blu-Ray movies. However, the software was from around 2011. It wouldn't play newer movies from around 2014 or so because the software was out of date. Fair enough. Instead of updating to the latest version, it had to do sequential updates. Then, on the last free update, it turns out that it cannot play the movie and that I would need to purchase the full version. I think this was a Cyberlink software.

• Ducky
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Install libbluray and you can use VLC to play blu-ray discs, there's also other open source blu-ray players out there.

• Ducky
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If it has a blu-ray drive then yes it will, if not then you can buy an external blu-ray drive 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.