Could it be my cars not getting enough gas to it or could it be it's not getting spark?

I have a 1990 jaguar that I purchased feom an auto auction. Ran fine when I baught it it just needed a new battery. As soon as it started to get colder, it had trouble startimg and needed starter fluid. I did a work on the fuel system (e.g. fuel filter, pressure regulator, coolent temp sensor, sea foam treatment). That was after it started having issues that I associated with the cold weather. After I filled the fuel tank half way and added the sea foam treatme t it started to not have any issues really with starting for a while. Recently, I have let it sit for a day without driving it when it was really cold outside and the next morning I went to start it up and needed starter fluid, but even with that it wasn't starting. Also, I got new spark plugs for it, but think it might be that it isn't getting the needed spark given it has half a tank of gas and I even used starter fluid and it's not starting. What could be the matter with it. I need this car in order to get back into school, thanks for all your help.

• zipper

It could be timing, it is just to cold to start right, How cold is it? The carborator needs adjusting for cold weather! May be it needs a can of cat food.

There's a guy in Los Angeles who does Chevy engine swaps on problem Jags. Put in a Chevy V8 and overdrive automatic trans, and be happy from now on.

QUESTION REPORTED  for asking the same thing over and over. FAIL. 

• Bort

What's wrong with it is that it's manufactured by the F-word. It's already causing you problems which is why someone probably decided to auction it. Nobody would buy it if they had the opportunity to look at it and test drive it. Jaguars are an expensive version of F-words. Stop letting it empty your wallet. It will keep doing that. Auction it and get rid of it.

The fact that you almost never see a Jag on the road in traffic driving around isn't because they're expensive it's because they are extremely problematic AND extremely expensive to fix. Their parts are expensive depending upon what part it is and it's almost always the expensive part that stops working or breaks (over and over again). Some of the parts for a jag aren't expenive because the parts are anything special, really, but because they're for a Jag.

Get rid of that thing before it bankrupts you.

British cars are always hard to start in cold and damp weather. That's just they way they are.

A) You bought the car at a car auction.  These cars have problems. Nobody has to disclose to you what the issues are. You take a gamble when you buy from an auction.  It may run for a bit but it would not be at an action UNLESS there was something seriously wrong with it.

First off, "starting fluid" is for diesel engines that have no glow plugs or(in your case SPARK PLUGS)  To use SF on an ignition spark system is just going to MUCK up the engine.  It is like using a HAMMER on the top of each piston.  SF does not burn evenly or smoothly.  Gasoline has more than enough Bang for the buck.

.With any car.  You do not put your foot on the gas pedal.  Cut it off or stuff it in your back pocket.  Usually you get in the car and step 1ce on the gas pedal(to allow any choke plates to flip closed so it cuts off the excess cold air from reaching the engine during start up(as it needs to be super rich)-mostly fuel, little air.    And then you stick the key in the ignition and crank over the starter...say for 3 seconds and stop for 2 seconds.  Turn key off and turn key to the on position again and crank for 3 seconds. (Usually the second time is a charm and it fires right up.)  This way you do not burn out the starter or strain the battery as much.

.   Once the car starts, now you can pull your foot out of your butt and touch the gas pedal.   Fuel injection cars are real fussy when you got your foot resting on the gas pedal and depressing it even a bit.  They will refuse to start.

.   So IMPROPER starting procedure is a BIG ONE.

While you changed stuff, I do not read Fuel Pump as being a part you looked in to.  It needs to put out pressure for the pressure regulator to work....though I do not know what you mean when you say pressure regulator.  As a PR valve is something that is used for PROPANE BBQ OR GAS WELDING EQUIPMENT.  Not on a car.  So your language is WRONG.  I have no idea what YOU are talking about.

- so bone up on the correct terminology or we can NOT advise.

If PR is fuel pump then there is no fixing them.  Replacement is the only option.

You do not mention odometer reading (miles or km) That matters to us.  A 30 year old car could have as little as 10,000 miles on it or 300,000miles or even more.

IT MATTERS. to estimate what is worn to the point of failure.

And we have to guess without seeing it.  Using our knowledge of various cars and the general longevity of parts...on the AVERAGE car that got average use.

Canada, US(California) US(Alaska), Britain, or Australia? So we mechanics got an idea of what is cold weather in your parts(Australia is 40+C in January)(Alaska is -40 in January)

If ye be in the cold neck of the woods start looking in the engine compartment to see if there is a 120V 3 prong plug cord hanging near the lower radiator.  This is your BLOCK HEATER.  Plugging that in 1 hour before  you hop into the car to start it makes starting it a cinch.  You get instant heat.  And you are good for the whole day.

You are going to school.?  Then they have SHOP.  Where they may work on cars?   Talk to the shop teacher about the students looking at yours.   The shop teacher is a mechanic, so all the students are his GRUNTS.  They change the oil or grease or whatever bull work there needs to be done and the teacher will supervise the repair.  

THAT IS A MAYBE.   

Usually you have to be taking a shop class...and then can bring in your own car to work on.   But they do do other students vehicles...for cheap.  Like the cost of the parts.  You can't get it any cheaper than that.   See what the deal is.  Asking won't hurt.

It is 2020. Jaguar troll strikes again.

• Trump 2020

YUP, same questions again.......and again.......and again.....

Assuming that this is a fuel injected engine, this sounds like the Idle Air Control motor (IAC) on the throttle body. If that isn't it, then it could be the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is just old and sensitive to cold temperatures. It can also be the regulator in the alternator isn't working correctly but that is difficult to diagnose if the engine runs well in warmer weather or doesn't repeat when the engine is finally warm in colder temp's. 

Also, the ECM module can be the culprit. So, I'd have the boys connect a scanner to the car and try to locate or diagnose the exact culprit. 

i would have a mechanic check it out

• Jason4 weeks agoReport

The ones I went to say they don't work on the kind of car I have and I'd have to take it to a dealership or someone who specializes on jaguars.