Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

Is left lane for reckless  and overagressive driving basically ?

In my state it is reckless to be over 80 mph, regardless of limit.

But almost everyone on left alone is doing around 90.

So just because they are on left , does it mean they have freedom to floor the gas pedal?

This is a very realistic question based on what I see on daily basis. 

Jim: wrong. 80 mph and above is defined reckless REGARDLESS of limit. But I see well over 90 all the time on left. I don't think such practice will last very long because my state is again going to amend left lane laws this year

Pat -- I am not police but its my moral duty to not let speeding happen. 

The left lane is for passing. Passing is done faster than traffic in the lanes to the right. The passing lane is not for speeding. In Oregon, when they catch you hogging the left lane, not just passing, you will be cited for that.

• Jerry

The rule is "Slower traffic keep right; pass on the left." 

If you're going the same speed as (or slower than) traffic in the lane to your right, then you're in the wrong lane and need to move at least one lane right. 

If you want to go faster than the cars in your lane, then you're in the wrong lane and need to move at least one lane to the left. 

The left lane is for people going faster than the traffic to their right. The "going faster" may or may not constitute reckless driving, overaggressive driving. But getting over to the left to pass is the correct thing to do. 

the left lane is for passing and unless you are a police officer, you should only be concerned about your own driving.

• Jay P

The law states the left lane is for passing and speed limits apply to all lanes.  

What you see in real life is often very different.  What I see is most people tend to drive in the left lane, regardless of speed so it is the lane that pretty much always is the first to brake and slow down when traffic becomes heavier.  The right lane ( the law also states 'keep right except to pass' ) is often the least used lane.

This is one area I think we in North America fail.  Having visited and driven on European roads, including the German Autobahn, I think their lane discipline is far greater than ours.

• not

If over 80 is defined as being reckless then technically by law it is reckless.

At 11 years old (the age of consent in Nigeria) a little girl can be a man's sexual play thing; technically by law and all.

Studies prove traffic will self regulate itself at a safe for the road and conditions. So you say they go 90 all the time. Well we keep improving cars and roads seems like an expected outcome. Road studies often amend speed limits to be higher not lower. All the 55s turned to 65s then 75s and now we're seeing 85s where I drive. 

In many parts of Utah, the speed limit is 80 MPH on the interstate, but people often exceed that. Highway patrol will usually allow 5 over the limit, but sometimes not. People are good about moving right when someone wants to speed.

• Janet

No .. the left lane is for those going AT the speed limit to pass slower traffic on the right, who are driving UNDER the speed limit.

Of course, what you are observing is drivers breaking the law.

• jimanddottaylor

But exceeding the speed limit is hardly reckless.  Otherwise highway carnage would be way worse than it is.