Washer and dryer in bedroom, is it still considered a bedroom in a house assesment.?

We have a small bedroom that we are thinking of converting to a laundry room area- so open washer and dryer and possibly a utility sink. By doing this, would we loose a bedroom on the house assessment? Is it worth a loss of a small bedroom to gain a laundry room. It would be the difference of a 5 bedroom vs. 4 bedroom home. We are in Delaware if that matters. Thank you

Favorite Answer

I am surprised that a five bedroom home doesn't have a separate laundry room rather than having it in the garage. If you can't make a small room in your garage with an electric baseboard heater, then go ahead and use the smallest bedroom for a laundry room. However, allow the plumbing fixtures and dryer exhaust to remain as is in the garage in the event somebody wants to buy the house and return it to a five bedroom with laundry in the garage.

You may want to contact the town to let them know that you now have a four bedroom home as this will help somewhat in lowering your taxes. At this point, this is your house and you should have it the way you want it. What you are doing is not permanently removing a bedroom should have future buyer want one there. I would do it in a heartbeat.

For a bedroom to be considered an actually bedroom in California real estate it has to have a closet.

I think the laundry room is a great idea and instead of a small bedroom id make a walk in pantry, large dishes, extra appliance storage. Pantries are hot in cali

• Nuff Sed

I have been in many homes in California that have no closets in the bedrooms -- only armoires or similar. So, technically, they're not "homes" if they have no bedrooms?

• Janet

No. It will be considered a laundry room.

You will probably pay lower taxes, but the house will also have a lower rental or resale value.

My personal thought is that if it has laundry plumbing, then it's not a bedroom. I'm curious, does the place not already have a laundry? It's just I've never known a house to not come with a laundry. 

A dryer needs proper ventilation. I used a dryer in a bedroom and it made everything damp. 

• Nuff Sed

I was in a brand new house a few weeks ago with the laundry in the upstairs master bedroom suite, right next to the master bath, with the whirlpool and the sauna.

If you choose to use a bedroom for another purpose then no, you would not lose a bedroom