Natalia asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How can I exercise a puppy inside? ?

I have a 7 month old lab mix with TONS of energy. We usually go for walks and throw a ball around for a little while. When it’s rainy, snowing, or just freezing cold, how can I exercise him inside? 

He will NOT go outside if it’s raining. I’ll try to bring him out but he just stands on the porch and looks at me like I’m crazy 

• patty

put him on the treadmill

• Ocimom

Our lab hated rain too - she would not want to go pee/poop outside - she would hold it!  But as far as exercise, can you set up 2 buckets and a board of some kind as a jump and have her jump over it to retrieve a toy?

• Natalia1 month agoReport

I think we have some somewhere. I’ll definitely try that 

Use a shock collar. 

Give him some weed.

You don't. You dress for the weather, put a leash on the dog and take it for a brisk walk.

edit: a LAB that won't get wet?  Your dog either isn't a Lab, you're a TROLL and this question is BS or likely, both.

• Bort

There really is no substitute I have been able to think of for the exercise they get from playing outside. Inside play is more stimulation and giving them attention than exercise. 

I have a 9 year old Staffordshire that weighs around 60lbs. I have inside toys and outside toys. Inside toys are made of softer materials than the outside toys:Inside ball:https://tinyurl.com/twmdct5Outside ball:https://tinyurl.com/tc8lkz2Outside I throw it as far as I can.Inside Play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9nMhYI7V0k

Youtube thumbnail

Outside Play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kjVVgbpxU0

Youtube thumbnail

You can do things inside that you do outside too that will give them exercise and work their muscles like using a pull rope and playing tug of war, wrestling helps with their agility and balance along with using their muscles. 

You wrap him up and take him out, easy peasy. You can associate the rain with GOOD things, too. Take a few treats. Talk silly to him. Dogs are easily swayed with food and silly talk. My puppy hates trash cans. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, it used to be a nightmare to walk him. He would shoot off the sidewalk into the street to avoid the trash completely. I used treats to coax him and would talk in a stupid voice and say "Oh my GOODNESS, what a stupid silly trash can, come on boy! You can do it!" Now he doesn't even blink at them and just walks right by (no more treats, he knows what to do now). 

Many dogs also LOVE the snow. Mine does, thankfully. It's hell trying to get him inside after a good storm. He just run and run and romp and bounce. I put a coat and booties on and let him go for a good 20 minutes. Short haired dogs need some added protection, as do little dogs, sure, but many can grin and bear temps in the 20's if you give them a short 10-15 minute walk a few times a day.YOU are the boss. YOU set the terms. It's one thing for a dog to completely 100% terrified of something and quite another to give in because "he doesn't like it." 

Also, puzzle toys are your best friends. We have a treat ball, where we shove kibble inside it and it makes a stupid racket, but he loves it and it will keep him occupied for a good 45 minutes. The lows are getting into the teens where I live, so this is great at night to wear him out before bed or whenever he's restless. It makes his mind and body move. I also just saw a toy I'm thinking about ordering. It's 3 bones that you can fill and they hang down. The object is for them to knock them over with their paws or nose to get more food out. So consider puzzle toys and balls to stimulate him, as well.

Do you have a basement or garage where you could set up a homemade agility course?  

If your dog takes to agility, see if there is an agility club or arena near you.  A lot of times they are in repurposed warehouses in the industrial part of town.

Snow/ice I understand, but rain?    I live where it rains nine months of the year.  We dress appropriately and life goes on.

ETA:   "He will NOT go outside if it’s raining."   I had two dogs like that.  They would look like you were beating them if you told them to go potty when it is raining.   That doesn't fly when it's time for exercise.   You put a leash on them and take them out.   You are the boss.   Get to the street, trail or park and they'll forget about the rain.

Oh, please, dogs do NOT melt if they get wet.  If its honestly too cold for the dog, you go for very short walks.  You spend a lot of time training since using their brains tires them out as well as real exercise.  

Exercise his mind...  go on you tube for Kikopup training videos and do lots of 'search' work as well as obedience.