Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 months ago

How do I make dad see he’s making a mistake?

My dad is getting married. He’s in his 60s and he’s now engaged to a 19 y/o. He’s not going to live forever. This 19 y/o is going to outlive him. That may very well affect inheritance. I have a brother and sister. The 3 of us would naturally expect to inherit his money/property. I’m worried this girl will get everything instead. I’ve asked him not to marry her. I’ve asked him to sort his will to make sure my siblings and I get the money. He’s just not paying attention.

It's true your dad shouldn't marry someone less than one third his age however nothing is really promised to you from him unless he already has a will he will stick to for you children and leave the potential wife to be out of it.  I would talk to him about his will or living trust.  My sister did it for both my parents one is gone now...the will took care of everything and everyone.  My other parent owns a business which doesn't make any money but I think he owns a piece of land that's been in the family for generations someplace way out in the country in Arkansas that we will have to pay tax on or try to sell.  There's really not much you can do he may take offense if you bring it up now but he can't deny you should have this conversation.  Good Luck and I hope you get what you want.

You and your siblings are not only SELFISH, you're also STUPID. Your dad is an ADULT, and as long as he's not suffering from dementia or another serious mental disorder (and it doesn't sound like that's the case) then he can do whatever he wants to with his own MONEY. You and your siblings aren't AUTOMATICALLY entitled to ANYTHING. It's your DAD'S CHOICE who he wants to leave things to.

The way you're treating your dad right now is ATROCIOUS. You owe him and his new bride an APOLOGY, and you need to learn to work at getting along with her, no matter what her age. And what makes you think that his new bride will outlive him? That may or may not be true, and there's no real way you can predict this. Even if by chance she does outlive him, her getting the lion's share of his wealth isn't guaranteed. You and your siblings can always contest any will that your dad has that you don't like.

None of us are going to live forever, pal. Including you and your siblings. Consider that, why don't you, before you go harping on your dad about his choice of a new bride. Your dad is entitled to some happiness, just as you are.

Sounds me like you only care about your Dad's money and not him!

Is it odd he's marrying a 19 year old? Yes 100%. Do I think she's after his money? Yes I do. However, it's your dads' life and if this girl makes him happy, then who are you to judge them? 

It sounds like your more worried about the money than your father. My experience with people who marry older men with such a big age gap is that they want to control the 19 y/o, she'll definitely suffer before she gets that money. Advice your father from the right state of mind and not the financial aspect. Or even look out for this girl a bit she's in for a hell life, ask her what she is running away from.

Your "Dad's" nest-egg is NOT YOUR'S,,so I suggest pulling your head out of your A*s & stop waiting for it to Hatch since he could just as easily Will  the entire worth of his estate to charity or any other unworthy individual, leaving both You and his Young Widow with absolutely Nothing  & it would STILL be none of your damned business! 

IT'S his life... and you sound like you just want to see what you can get when he dies and you care nothing about his real happiness.. 

YOU DESERVE TO GET NOTHING.

I guess you now know where you stand with you dad..... and he will learn where he stands with you....... in any case... he has no obligation to leave you anything.....

you cant, hes going to do what he wants anyways

You and your siblings need to sit him down to ask about his estate planning. he could easily marry this woman but still have a will that leaves most of his assets to his children. If he's a reasonable person he'll do this. On the other hand...his money may be the only reason this child bride is interested and at the end of the day if he chooses to spend all his money to buy a teenage hottie it's kind of none of your business.

Bwah hahaha!! Nice try