Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Opinions on the tall muli level cat crates?

We have an elderly cat who is starting to loose control of her bladder and bowels. Vet says she is overall healthy and it's just what happens sometimes when they get old and that it's the same with all animals a few years or possibly months before they pass away. Ok we can live with that, unfortunately we knew the day would come eventually. Well we have a litter box in every room and hallway in the house now so she can be near a box at all times. It's getting extremely expensive having to clean and refill litter boxes 2-3 times a week when we have roughly 10 in the house for her so she won't have an accident in the floor. We have been looking into the cat cages which will give her space to stretch out and play as well as keep her close to the litter box so we won't have to spend over $200 a week on maintenance of 10 boxes. Has anyone ever used one before? Can someone give me the pro and cons of them please? After she passes away we plan to clean up the cage and donate it to the shelter we got her from since they are always overcrowded with cats and kittens.

Update:

She is old but she still plays like a kitten sometimes. The cage we are getting her has steps to each level so it's easier on her to climb and sun bathe

Update 2:

I would just "toss her in a bedroom" as mentioned in a comment but their is 2 issues with that. 1. she has gotten use to being involved with us and she hates not being near us on our lazy night or being in the spotlight when we have a guest over. And 2 I don't have any spare rooms for her as our house is small

Update 3:

We have to use a certain type of litter for her as she is allergic to most cat litter. He paws will crack and bleed if she gets in contact with the "cheap" stuff we have tried every brand out for her over the years. Her litter is roughly $40 for a 20lb box. Thus why we go through Soo much money on litter. No we don't clean all the boxes Everytime but most of them yes we do

9 Answers

Relevance
  • PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would consider taking your cat to a different vet. You also don't state the age of your cat.

Our cats have mainly lived until between 19 and 20 years, and this did not happen. In regards to urine accidents, this can indicate kidney issues, but this would show on blood work. Kidney issues can be treated to some degree, and you can offer different cat food. Did the vet do any blood work? What did the numbers show? Bladder infections can also very easily cause accidents, and antibiotics will treat this.

WAS THIS CAT CHECKED FOR A BLADDER INFECTION??

Regarding loosing control of poop, again, this could be an illness as well. Parasites can cause diarrhea. Once treated, the cat will use its litter again. Some cats will stop using the litter box if they have tapeworm. Once treated they should again begin using the box.Take your kitty to a different vet for a consult before spending money on confinement for a cat who still wants to play. Your kitty would likely be unhappy kept in a cage. You sound like you have a nice cat, and she may just need some sort of treatment.

Unfortunately, there can be quite a disparity in vets and it would be a good idea for a cat who seems to really enjoy your company, to have this benefit of a second opinion from a vet with good reviews.

• 1 month ago

why would u spend 200 on maintenance of litter boxes? your cat is not using all 10 of them, so why do u need to refill them? it is cruel to hold a cat in a cage. make his last days happy, not miserable

• 1 month ago

You're LYING.  I have had numerous cats and many that lived an incredibly long time.  22 years, 7 months, 19 years, 16 years.  Not ONE of them ever peed or pooped on themselves simply because they had "gotten old".  I'm also doubting your cat is very old at all.

What this poor cat needs is for you to REALLY bring it to a vet and have geriatric bloodwork done on it to find out what's going on.  It likely has kidney disease and is in the latter stages and most likely should be put down.  NO cat is happy once it's unable to hold it's pee and poop.  You are INCREDIBLY selfish to think that caging this poor cat is the answer!!!  Disgusting.

I'm also thinking that since you posted this as an anonymous COWARD that you could just be a Flame Baiting TROLL which makes you even more pathetic.

• ...Show all comments
    • ZotsRule
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Ocimom - WHAT is "not true"?  Your cat peed on himself BECAUSE HE HAD CANCER. This person is claiming their cat is doing that simply because it's "gotten old".  Try READING what I wrote.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would not cage her unless you plan on moving the cage around from room to room so she is with you.  I would confine her to one room in the house (bedroom). and let her out for an hour or so and supervise where she is.  When you are not at home, then confine her to the bedroom.  

BTW you might want to consider changing the litter you use to pellet litter which is a LOT cheaper ($6 for 40 lbs).  Why are you dumping so much litter for one cat?  She can't be using it all - what is the problem in just scooping it.  Should not need to be completly dumping the litter 2-3 times a week!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can keep it inside one room. That should minimize the cost of cat litter.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Please don't cage the poor girl. The other users had great ideas.Now I'm crying over your cat.

• 1 month ago

A cage is not the solution to the problem. She would be miserable and not be able to hang out with you or guests if shes in there. Keep her in a room with no carpet for the most part but keep the litter pans out so she can come out on lazy night and when you have people over. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

My cat had a retirement room. Ceramic tile floors that could be easily cleaned, a litter box, food and water, creature comforts, etc.

A cage sounds like a horrible idea.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It would be more sensible to corral the cat in one or two rooms without carpets and simply keep one litter box with a warm bed nearby. If she's aging, she may not jump a pet fence anymore, so that keeping her contained would be easier.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.