Why when I splice together TWO small solar panels, that the volts & amperage drops instead of doubling? But its higher with just 1 alone....?

Why when I splice together two small solar panels, they volts and amperage drops instead of doubling? But is higher with 1 alone?

I am new to solar panels, and im trying to learn more about them. I have two small panels you would use on a house motion led light, their not very powerful by any means.

With reading one, on my multimeter it shows on a sunny day about 10-11volts with the amps at 0.02-0.03. Very small I know, milliwatts power.

But when I put the other one in series with the first one, sunny day volts drops to about 5 and amps output drops to 0.01 and stays there. I'm confused why im not seeing like 20 volts and 0.05 amps at least.

Sorry for sounding like a complete noob, I am planning on putting this on the roof of my truck to keep the battery a constant trickle charge when parked in the sun.

If you want higher voltage, then put them in series as the other answers indicate.  If you want more current (with the same voltage a 1 panel) then connect them in parallel - red to red and black to black. 

Joining mistake,as you joined them in series, must follow their polarity, like + - + - and so on. In series, voltage increases close to double but ampere maintains the same like in one.

Correct your mistake by reversing one wire then join again.Use a DC voltmeter to determine its polarity if the panel terminals without marking + or - .

you probably connected them incorrectly. They are polarized, and must be connected in series with + to –

see below. Connections are in red.

for car battery charging, you need at least 15 volts, and you need to add a diode to prevent the solar pianels from discharging the battery when dark.  shown 

PS, you can put the diode between the two panels, might be easier.