Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

I am Christian and she is Muslim and I like her a lot. Do you think she will say no if I ask her on a date?

• Jerry

Instead of asking her for a date, tell her you'd like to get to know her better. Then add "Can that be arranged? Coffee or ice cream or lunch maybe?" Be prepared for her to date with a chaperon if her family is strict.  

• I was in this situation during college w my best friend. She’s a fairly liberal Muslim (observes holidays, doesn’t eat pork, eats beef that isn’t certified Halal [but still eats it Well Done], dresses normally, smokes weed) but she doesn’t do actual intercourse and her parents are a little tougher on religious conduct. 

If she calls herself a muslim but dresses like a normal chick, there’s a chance she won’t want to put you down. Honestly dude I’d ask her out anyway, and regardless what she says ask her about it anyway. How seriously does she view religion, how serious and imposing are her parents on her (especially if she’s an adult). If she declines then it’s best not to get involved with her since there are easily more available girls if you look in the right places and try as hard as you do now

I was reading a book and her claim was that "honour killings" were rife.  Even talking to a male over the phone had led to murder.  Now I don't expect quite such a severe reaction outside a fundamentalist state.  But it is unlikely that her family would accept  your dating her.

the bible states thou shall not be unequally yoked so forget her

I am a muslim female myself and I can tell you dating/boyfriends is forbidden in our religion. You can make it seem as though your just spending time together, rather than labelling it as a "date". It is also forbidden for a muslim girl to be in a relationship with anyone who isn't muslim. 

In other words, you pretty much don't have any chances of having a future with this girl, unless you converted to Islam.

Hope this helps.

• wombatfreaks

While many religious people take their faith and the culture that surrounds the faith (two different but related things) , no one follows all the dictates of their faith and all aspects/traditions of their culture. Religion/culture/people change over time, always have. 

Muslim? Leave well ALONE!

How could we know what some random stranger is going to say?

• She may say yes. Will you convert her or will she convert you because it could likely become an issue,  if you are dedicated which appears you are not since you are willing to become unequally yoked. 

Who knows until you try. 

• Linda

Most Christians do not date Muslims and visa versa. Ask her out if you want but if she is a strong Muslim, she will turn you down due to rules against that in her bible. You can always take a chance and the worst thing she can tell you is no.

Source(s): Muslim faith knowledge and being Christian
    • Linda

A bible is a book regarded as authoritative in a particular sphere such as cooking or religion or childcare, Dr. Stephanie. For a counselor I would think you would know that? So the way I used it is correct and I stand by my answer. Duhhhhhh!

Probably - suggest meeting up for a coffee first. If she has a strict family you might want her to make life easier for herself and let her be. Hopefully she will be quite open, but if she is dominated by her family and her religion, dating you might cause her all kinds of problems.