Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Do parents make children the people they are when they are adults?

I mean through proper parenting skills, social interaction with them etc?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Before I had my son I would have said yes. However watching him grow and become who he has in the past 18 years. My position is that life events and how the child handles them develop them into the persons they are forever evolving into. I would not have believed in genetics until I personally have watched traits from his siblings behaviors he could not had known about as they do not live with one another or interact at all but behave in the same fashion. It is fascinating to see. Some children have wonderful childhoods and still turn down a dark path their parents would not have ever wanted for them. The parents are easy to blame in many cases but their are plenty who sacrifice themselves their time their best years for the sake of giving their child the chance to do better than they did themselves. Often the child gets caught up in a sense of entitlement and this is how life just is having no way to appreciate the sacrifice that was afforded them until it is gone and some time has passed and time shows them as the mature they would have been better off listening to what the older wiser parent had to offer per their own mistakes and trials that was looked upon as nagging when in reality they just did not want to see you go through what they went through as they see themselves in you and no one wants their selves to suffer.

• 1 month ago

Largely, yes. Most influential factor.

• 1 month ago

To a great extent, yes. Kids like young animal learn by example, and naturally follow the parents example. They are therefore very influenced by what they see, and initially have no knowledge of good or bad.

If as they grow up they see no other, then they will know no other, and consider how they are to be normal. Its rather difficult to blame a child for being a badly behaved brat, if he is totally unaware of the alternatives.

• 1 month ago

Yes they do mostly.

Imagine one parent.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Parents are typically the first role models any kid becomes aware of in a family. If those kids are exposed to a dysfunctional family, they are likely to grow up with major social issues that will affect their lives forever. An abused child often becomes an abuser when they grow up for example.

There are exceptions of course; there always are exceptions to the rule with humans. But successful children are typically raised by loving supporting parents who encouraged them during their formative years. Parents are indeed major influences on how children will be when the children grow up and set out on their own.

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Some, but as anyone who has raised a child knows, the parents influence is during the younger years. Then peers, teachers, enviroment and such, all have more influence. Then there are the mental health, drugs, bullying, all sorts of things that alter a kids course.  Parents grow the roots, the base, then watch as life tears, pulls, and rips at them. Praying that in the end, the kids go back to their roots, usually in the mid to later 20's. Although, social media, tech in today's world, has drastically impacted/delayed that process.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Exactly. That's why the over protected snowflakes can't do a damn thing for themselves because helicopter parents did everything for them. So make sure there is a balance in their lives. And remember that there are disappointments in life. Losing the game isn't the issue. The issue is learning about your mistakes and correcting same. Assuming that we can survive the current generation we will need a future of people who can both think and act for themselves.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Partly, but not as much as they think. Most of it is genetics. Parents can traumatize their children or raise them well, but not shape their personalities.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.