How do I quit my nanny job on a positive note?

I just started nannying for a family a week ago. My mom informed me today that my grandfather was able to get me a paid internship where he works. I’ll make more money they’re than what I make nannying. I feel so incredibly guilty, but I don’t want to miss out on an opportunity like this. I would like to leave on good terms but I just don’t know how to go about it. 

Also the job doesn’t start until mid March. 

When I say job I mean the INTERNSHIP! I’m getting paid so it is a job to me. Also I’m not watching several children- it’s 1 child under a year old. I just needed to know how to keep it short and simple and explain it in a way that doesn’t offend the family. Thanks. 

You should go and be open and honest to the people you work for now. They will understand. You do not need to feel guilty, especially when you are not leaving them for the same position,but for some totally different job.

If the internship is a DEFINITE & doesn't start until March, tell them now and give them plenty of notice to find someone else.

Give them 2 weeks' notice and tell them that your grandfather wants you to work at his business, and that you had no idea that you could work there or that he needed anyone until - yesterday. If they need 3 weeks, give them 3 weeks.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Judy

Give them 2 weeks notice to look for someone else.

Give 2 weeks notice & apologize. Tell them the truth.

You tell them the truth. With nearly 2 months notice, you might even want to hold off until 2-3 weeks before the new job starts or they could replace you sooner.

• Murzy

Tell them you need to advance your career.

• DEBS

You give them time to find someone new and offer to be flexible in the transition as far as working reduced hours when/if needed (assuming your schedule allows.)

You've royally wasted their time and put their kids through an unnecessary transition.   They're not going to be happy.   The least you can do is give them two weeks' notice so they can find someone else.

If you bail on them with no notice, you're leaving them with no child care which could really screw them over.

If your grandfather's employer won't allow you to give your current employer the courtesy of a two week notice period, well that sure says something about how they treat people.

ETA:  "I just started nannying for a family a week ago" and "the job doesn't start until March" cannot both be true.   

Tell them a much better opportunity has come up...give them two weeks to find a replacement.  

• Casey Y

Per your additional comment.  Then, tell them you have another job starting in March and to find a replacement.