Did you remember to spit on a fig tree when walking past it?

Narrated by Fasini al-Kubra: the Messenger of Allah (prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him) would pass by a fig tree and curse at it, and after making such a curse, he would spit towards it. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) enjoined in this obligation.

Update:

When questioned about his behaviour, he would reply: did not Prophet Isa (The Islamic name for Jesus) also curse a fig tree when it failed to bring fourth its fruit? If you respect Prophet Isa, then you will imitate his works and curse at the fig tree.

Update 2:

Henceforth, it became an Islamic tradition (known as albasaq eala shajarat altyn) that when a believer passes by a fig tree, he would spit towards the tree and make a curse before leaving it. This will prevent the tree from bearing any fruit, and its leaves shall be destroyed.

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

99.9% of Muslims wouldn't know what a fig tree looked like.

Figs come in plastic tubs for the Rich Muslims.

• JASON
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Note to self. Do not buy any more figs.

• Marco
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I will keep that in mind if I ever see a fig tree in my life. Also, I officially no longer enjoy fig newtons. Are there any other foods that might have been spit on? 

• 1 month ago

That's silly. Jesus never did that, regardless what your book says.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't know what's more absurd.

The fact that jebus cussed out a fig tree

Or the fact that Mohammed, upon learning this, decided to emulate him.

I'm legit tempted to plant a fig tree outside a mosque and see how many of the sheeple actually spit on it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.