Grace asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Is giving a gift too much?

A colleague of mine helped me study for a Praxis test and I am wondering if it is too much to give her a small gift as a token of my gratitude. We’re not good friends, we’re friendly with each other, but I’m wondering if just a simple thank you in person is enough? What do you all think?

Giving a gift would definitely be a kind and thoughtful gesture.  It will also show appreciation for the kindness she extend to you.  There's joy in giving when you give from the heart.

• Mini

Getting her a gift may be a little weird- to me, anyway. I do think that taking her out to lunch would be very thoughtful and appropriate though. 

• SCATTY c

to me - taking her out to lunch is more weird than buying her a small token gift

i dont see anything wrong with that

A gift would be appropriate, but taking them out to lunch is more appropriate. Plus it allows a friendship to begin.

A small flowering potted plant would be a nice, appropriate gift, along with a thank-you note for her help with the test.

• Dv8s

Either is fine, give whatever you feel in your heart.

• Murzy

A small gift is ok.

It's not at all clear how much time and effort she put into helping you. It's possible she might be embarrassed if you give her a gift. But if you really want to, keep it small and simple and impersonal.

• bluebellbkk

OK, thanks for coming back to us; background is always useful. In that case I agree with @marys.momma's idea of a small plant with a nice note.

have flowers sent to her at work nothing huge and expensive though.

• Liz

I don't see how giving her a small gift would hurt.