Does A/C or Heater use up a lot of Gas?

what I do in the winter is that I turn the temperature to the highest and then I put the blower at 1 which is the lowest. I can get used to itt in the car ride if it gets too hot then I lower the temperature but usually it heats up pretty fast. I rarely ever put the blower to more than 2.

In the summer I do the same with the A/C but sometimes I put the blower in high cause its super hot in the car like an oven.

Favorite Answer

The heater is the engine. When it burn gas that heats the coolant and that is what you are sucking heat from as it circulates into the car.  The blower is just a 12 volt electric motor with a fan blade that blows against the heater core to blow off the heat tha radiates out from the heater core.

so battery power electricity to run fan motor.

AC has a compressor that is turned by the engine fan belt so it robs power from the engine just to turn over the compressor.  So the engine uses more gas to run the AC.  It too also uses 12 volt fan motor to blow the cool into the car.

Fan speed does not matter.  It just heats or cools the interior faster.  Window defroster is the 12v fan motor blowing heat against the glass.  You just changed direction of the heat.

• Road warrior

Modern cars use PWM speed control, far more efficient, low fan speed means, less current.draw. Still a big heat sink for transistor, it is Also in the duct so it can be cooled and use that heat not waste it.

Heaters do not increase fuel consumption, but AC compressors use a little more power from the engine to work. However high or low the blower is running doesn't matter.

• ron h

suk me donnie: the electricity drawn by a fan Is so little that it adds near-zero load to the engine.  Compressors reduce fuel economy by around 10%, sometimes more. 

The blower motor will not cause you to lose gas mileage or power. Keep doing dumbazz things jojo.

• Anon

BS Harry. The battery is Used ti start, then it sits , Charging, a Load.  (Hopefully!) ) It Can be used if current draw too much on Alt and it is Needed for a voltage reference for Alt. No battery= Alternator can spike  to 18 volts, frying anything on.  

• zipper

If the car engine is adjusted correctly, not as much as you think. Now the heater that runs off the battery and the water jacket so that uses NO EXTRA fuel or power at all. The air pump runs off the engine and uses some power, but if the egine is set up right not all that much.

• noname4 weeks agoReport

I'm not arguing, Trump,  I'm an electronics tech, took University  physics, Yes, harry;  worked with hi vacuum professionally  and at home. Have Welch 1500  and diff. pump in shop. Used  LN2 cold traps at Fairchild. Building  own C/T with dry ice, alcohol, in stainless steel  "SF Giants" thermos.

• F

The heater uses heat from the engine, so will actually imporve efficiency by a small amount. A/c uses a compresser that will affect gas mileage but less than running with the windows open at high speed. I use a/c all the time even in a moderate climate like the UK. In summer I'm cool and comfortable and in winter the a/c dehumidifies greately helping demisting. The small amount of extra gas is well worth it.

However, I did have a hybrid for a couple of years. Using the heater, fan and a/c absolutely destroys your electric only range.

• F

So the tiny amount of gas saved by cooling the engine, is used up by powering the fan motor. The HEAT comes from the engine via a secondary radiator. An ICE produced masses of unwanted heat, why would it not use it for heaing?

• Bort

No, it does not use more gas to run a vehicle's heater or air conditioning. The heater acquires heat from the heat the engine produces. The air conditioning is it's own separate unit attached to the engine that runs off of the belt just like the alternator and water pump are run by the belt turning it when the engine is running.

You don't need to be conservative with the blower or temperature. The heat and air conditioning does not effect fuel usage. Be comfortable.

A LOT, no, but it does reduce your MPG some. When I'm driving through the California or Nevada deserts in the summer, which I do quite often, I need AC running. To counteract the reduction, I simply reduce my speed. It takes a small amount longer to get there, but fuel consumption stays the same.

The only time your heater cuts mileage is when you select DEFROST. That turns on the AC compressor to help dry the air being circulated.

• Road warrior

The 2016  Fiesta I rented had MPG meter, either real time or  average trip., I noted 29-30 MPG  avg,  consistently with an even   mix of in town and  65 MPH freeway driving.

Air con affects your fuel economy because it needs to run a compressor to make it work. Normal car heating does not affect fuel economy as you are just redirecting engine heat that was there anyway. The blower fan in the car does not make any noticeable difference to fuel consumption.

• Road warrior

I Know,  I've fixed both and fixed switching power supplies professionally, they use PWM technology. 

• Sky

I would provide an informative answer, but based on your screen name, pïss off.

• ron h

Like so many things the shitgibbon says, he's accusing others of becoming deranged from seeing his despicable and illegal behavior and lies.  The sad fact is that it's the cult who follow their leader BECAUSE they were weak, and looking for a daddy when they found tRump.

• Mark

Heater don't use up much gas (Only the fan uses electricity.)  In cars less than 30 years old, the overuse of "gas" is negligible for A/C, but more than heating.

• P

The A\C is going to use a lot more gas since the AC compressor will put more resistance on the engine when used.   The heat is "free" byproduct of the engine that is created no matter if you have your heat on or not.   The blower uses such a small amount of power comparatively and is obviously used in both heating or cooling.  

• ron h

Road warrior,  The refrigerant (r12 or R-134) makes no difference. Toyota Yaris now and in 2007 had 1500 engines.  A/C costs me money in my 5.3 sliverado.