Does A/C or Heater use up a lot of Gas?

what I do in the winter is that I turn the temperature to the highest and then I put the blower at 1 which is the lowest. I can get used to itt in the car ride if it gets too hot then I lower the temperature but usually it heats up pretty fast. I rarely ever put the blower to more than 2.

In the summer I do the same with the A/C but sometimes I put the blower in high cause its super hot in the car like an oven.

1 year ago

The heater is the engine. When it burn gas that heats the coolant and that is what you are sucking heat from as it circulates into the car.  The blower is just a 12 volt electric motor with a fan blade that blows against the heater core to blow off the heat tha radiates out from the heater core.

so battery power electricity to run fan motor.

AC has a compressor that is turned by the engine fan belt so it robs power from the engine just to turn over the compressor.  So the engine uses more gas to run the AC.  It too also uses 12 volt fan motor to blow the cool into the car.

Fan speed does not matter.  It just heats or cools the interior faster.  Window defroster is the 12v fan motor blowing heat against the glass.  You just changed direction of the heat.

• 1 year ago

Heaters do not increase fuel consumption, but AC compressors use a little more power from the engine to work. However high or low the blower is running doesn't matter.

• 1 year ago

The blower motor will not cause you to lose gas mileage or power. Keep doing dumbazz things jojo.

• zipper
    1 year ago

If the car engine is adjusted correctly, not as much as you think. Now the heater that runs off the battery and the water jacket so that uses NO EXTRA fuel or power at all. The air pump runs off the engine and uses some power, but if the egine is set up right not all that much.

• F
    1 year ago

The heater uses heat from the engine, so will actually imporve efficiency by a small amount. A/c uses a compresser that will affect gas mileage but less than running with the windows open at high speed. I use a/c all the time even in a moderate climate like the UK. In summer I'm cool and comfortable and in winter the a/c dehumidifies greately helping demisting. The small amount of extra gas is well worth it.

However, I did have a hybrid for a couple of years. Using the heater, fan and a/c absolutely destroys your electric only range.

• Bort
    1 year ago

No, it does not use more gas to run a vehicle's heater or air conditioning. The heater acquires heat from the heat the engine produces. The air conditioning is it's own separate unit attached to the engine that runs off of the belt just like the alternator and water pump are run by the belt turning it when the engine is running.

You don't need to be conservative with the blower or temperature. The heat and air conditioning does not effect fuel usage. Be comfortable.

• 1 year ago

A LOT, no, but it does reduce your MPG some. When I'm driving through the California or Nevada deserts in the summer, which I do quite often, I need AC running. To counteract the reduction, I simply reduce my speed. It takes a small amount longer to get there, but fuel consumption stays the same.

The only time your heater cuts mileage is when you select DEFROST. That turns on the AC compressor to help dry the air being circulated.

• 1 year ago

Air con affects your fuel economy because it needs to run a compressor to make it work. Normal car heating does not affect fuel economy as you are just redirecting engine heat that was there anyway. The blower fan in the car does not make any noticeable difference to fuel consumption.

• Sky
    1 year ago

I would provide an informative answer, but based on your screen name, pïss off.

• Mark
    1 year ago

Heater don't use up much gas (Only the fan uses electricity.)  In cars less than 30 years old, the overuse of "gas" is negligible for A/C, but more than heating.

• P
    1 year ago

The A\C is going to use a lot more gas since the AC compressor will put more resistance on the engine when used.   The heat is "free" byproduct of the engine that is created no matter if you have your heat on or not.   The blower uses such a small amount of power comparatively and is obviously used in both heating or cooling.