Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 1 month ago

Can my employer require community service work? ?

My boss has been playing around with the idea of doing community work during the warmer months. While it sounds selfless to do work to help the community, the bottom line is she just wants more business, to be more recognized. Of course we would be doing these services, possibly, during the weekends.

Well, I work 5 days a week and I’m physically in the office 9 hours a day. By the time the weekend rolls around, I’m exhausted. And I want to actually spend quality time with my fiancé at home. We barely see each other during the week. And being a big time introvert I need my quiet down time to recharge or I will not be very functional for the start up of the work week. Also, my fiancé and I are planning to get married this fall. Come this summer we will need our weekends to plan, plan, plan. I can’t do full time work, and community service, and plan a wedding. 

And I’m all for community service for a good cause. Gaining recognition for your company is very self serving in my opinion. I did community work last summer after tornadoes devastated our city. I did it purely out of being broken hearted for my city. So I’m all for it. But not as a “requirement for work.” I need time away from work just like everyone else. Can they make us do community work on weekends? Off company time? Thank you. 

• Judy

No, they can encourage you to but not make you.

Your employer cannot require any employee to do community service work without compensating you for your time involved. This would be giving him publicity for providing community service work that others provide. Federal and state laws require you to be paid for any and all hours worked.

If you are an exempt employee, the company can require you to do community service without paying you anything extra.  Anytime they need you to within reason.

If you are an hourly employee, they can't require it without paying you for it.  But like Casey said - if you don't do it you are at the bottom of the barrel.

You act like they are going to ask you to do 16 hours of community service each weekend for 12 weeks which you and I both know is BS.

"Gaining recognition for your company is very self serving in my opinion" = that attitude is going to get you right out of a job.

Tricky one.  They cannot require you to volunteer...but I'll bet those who put in the hours volunteering get fast tracked towards promotions.  Even if you cannot make every event, try to make some of them.  I bet you aren't paid to attend networking events (if you have them), but you're still pseudo-required to attend. 

You can absolutely do this and plan a wedding...just make decisions and stick to them.  Best thing we ever did was speed up our wedding timing.  My now wife wasnt able to compare 10 different florists, we found one and moved on.  

• Eva

If they make it mandatory, they have to pay you. They can't force you to "volunteer" your time.

If they require you to be there, they must pay you. If that puts you over 40 hours in the week they must pay you at OT rate.

If they aren't paying you then its optional.

When its time for promotions and raises they might consider who participated in these volunteer events as part of that consideration. but if your employer is passing you over for promotions because you spent the weekend with your family instead of at an unpaid volunteer event then you need a new employer.

On your time, no.  On company time, yes.  

• P

I think you are putting the cart in front of the horse a bit.  Your boss already knows your availability is not guaranteed and you have every right to decline to do it.  If she's paying you to do it then I suppose she could make it a "requirement", but it would be very unusual if she threatened your position over opting out of it.  Most businesses that do this type of thing will only do events when they can get adequate staff to agree to attend.  

No they can't.

She can require you to do community service if she is paying you to do so.  That includes paying you overtime if you've already worked your 40 hours for the week.

She cannot require you to do work that she is unwilling to pay you for.

Most employers that encourage employees to volunteer give their employees paid time off to do so.