Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

A question to my fellow atheists-Dont you believe that theists believe in God only because of fear?

Because of which they don't dare to question and think critically.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

That is one of the reasons, yes.  Theists are taught from the youngest ages to never question their beliefs, to "never put god to the test", to reject any information the religious leaders don't tell them or don't want them to know (the whole "Adam & Eve, tree of knowledge" bullshit story is there to create fear of seeking knowledge), and to be absolutely terrified of the consequences of questioning, let alone leaving, their religion in the form of torture in eternal hellfire.  There are people who have been atheists for decades who still have that lingering fear, sometimes even waking up from a nightmare about torture in hell, because of the mental conditioning and brainwashing that religious indoctrination imposed on them, terrifying them from the age they can barely talk.  It's very hard to overcome mental conditioning like that, and it's the exact same mental conditioning that keeps so many theists fearfully in those church pews every weekend.

• Sky
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

You selected me as favorite answer too quickly!  I was just in the middle of editing my answer to include a story from when I was little, crying myself to sleep with the terrible fears of one day dying, facing judgment, and being cast into eternal fire.  How psychologically damaging is that?

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

No it's desire - desire to be free from fear, desire to get into heaven more than desire to avoid hell. And with desire comes all forms of suffering.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Critical thinking inevitably leads to the fact that the universe could not have come into existence through any natural process.

• 4 weeks ago

So do you walk out in front of busy fast moving traffic because you don't fear?

Seems like it is you who doesn't think

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JASON
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

They don't believe in gods at all. They're trapped in a world they were born in to by their elders dictating to them what to pretend to think. Secretly they all wish someone would speak up and say, but this is all just lunacy isn't it. But no one wants to be the first, for fear of being cast out by their friends. So they all just keep the status quo.

• 4 weeks ago

I'm sure a lot of atheists believe that because they once were theists who believed out of fear. But if these atheists spent a little more effort and studied some of the greatest thinkers in history (Aristotle, Aquinas, Descartes, Lonergan, Fewer, etc.) they would find that there's actually more thought that goes into it.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

In part - yes - becasue the brainwashing they are brought up with is based upon the fear tactics and mental terrorism that their families heap upon them as they grow up.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Fear and ignorance are a part of it but the main reason is because of indoctrination.

• Jea
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Fear and intentional ignorance.

Like trained seals.  But they don't even honk for a fish.

• 4 weeks ago

It's partly fear, partly habit that they can't break, and partly arrogance.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.