Which term do you prefer to define our community, LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBTQ+, or GSM?

The GSM one I’m not a huge fan of. It means Gender and Sexual Minorities. But has too much of an implied emphasis on sex. Attraction is also about emotional bonds.

Personally I prefer LGBTQ. I think it’s pretty damn inclusive

GSM because it's short. It doesn't emphasise sex in the sense of sexual attraction but refers to sex the category. The variants on LGBT just invite ridicule.

None of them, There is no such thing as the LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBTQ+ or GSM community.

• No, it's just imaginary - like, for example, the S(traight)BT community, or the SSS (sailors, swimmers and spiritualists) community.

• reme_1

LGBTQ seems to be pretty inclusive.

We's all just plain folks.

• I'm certainly not discrediting anyone's humanity. But sometimes labels do help to a certain extent, providing we don't get to overwhelmed by them. 

I agree. LGBTQ is fine.

No, it stops at T. And they're only included if they're actually also gay. Q is a slur and it's being used by straight people. Why are we supposed to be "inclusive"? I thought we were representing a specific group of people who had something in common?

• Q is not regarded as a slur anymore. The other F word is certainly. But we took that slur and turned it into a term of empowerment. 

I have heard GRSM (or GSRM). Gender, romantic and sexual minorities. I don't mind the term at all. I think I also prefer LGBTQ just because it includes everyone and its easy to type out. I'm too lazy to add the +. 

I generally use LGBT+.

LGBTQ+ is exclusive not inclusive, hence the reason for GSM. If you're complaining about the lack of bi-romantic or homo-romantic then that's not explicitly included in LGBTQ+ in the first place.

The whole point of an all encompassing initialism (like GSM), is to get rid of the stigma that only the first few letters matter enough to be mentioned. 

Asexual, Intersex, Intergender, Non-Binary, Pansexual, Twin Spirit? Do you know the rest of the community? Being in the majority and deciding for the minority is the reverse of what GSM is about.

• I see your point. But I don’t agree LGBTQ+ is exclusive at all. The order of letters actually tells 
      us a lot about LGBTQ rights movements and the order they fell in and how they progressed. There was a time when we simply used the term gay community. Now that is exclusive. LGBTQ is a huge step up.

There is no central authority.

The vast majority of the  homosexuals want nothing to do with transgenders.

They see sexual orientation and gender identity to be completely different thing and not to be clubbed together.

• Oxinde I totally understand where you are coming from. I too am so fed up with discrimination within the LGBTQ. We need stronger unity not more devision.