Spyro asked in SportsWrestling · 1 month ago

Who was better: Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, or Bret Hart in their prime?

Who was the best grappler?

Who was the best at enhancing their opponents abilities in the ring?

Who was the best at making wrestling look real?

Who had the best psychology?

Who had the best story-telling?

Who was the best seller/bumper?

Who could work the crowd the best?

Who was the best at wrestling different opponents of different styles?

Who had the best submissions?

Who was the best at making their style gell with another technical wrestler, as an opponent?

Who had better charisma and personality?

Who had the best stamina/conditioning?

Who was the best at wrestling in gimmick matches, such as steel cage, ladder matches, hardcore matches?

Who was the strongest?

Who was the quickest?

Who was better at brawling/striking?

Who was the most athletic?

• Candle
    Favorite Answer

1. Angle.  

2. Bret by default.  I can't think of many times Angle or Benoit were put up against lesser wrestlers.  Bret was very adaptable and more capable and willing to make opponents look good.

3. I'd say Benoit.  Chris hit hard, Chris stretched opponents believably, and every suplex just had a mechanical flow and harsh impact to it.  Angle's wrestling may look legitimately more realistic, but Benoit just had that extra oomph of stiffness that put his work over the top in a good way.

4. I'll say Angle.  People harp on psychology being 'picking a body part and working it over', and Bret definitely did that, but Angle's goal was to incapacitate his opponents to the point where he could lock in an ankle lock, which is a move that logically requires zero wear down to work because it's simple joint manipulation.  His goal wasn't to work over the already weak point of the ankle, but to beat up his opponents enough to where they wouldn't have the strength, will, or stamina to get out of the hold once applied.

5. I'll say Angle.  As complimentary as Bret's style could be to his opponents, Angle knew how to play coward in the ring, or a pit bull, or a babyface in peril better than the other two.

6.  I'll give Bret this one.  The turnbuckle chest bump was almost as signature as the Flair top rope gorilla press spot, and it looked just so brutal for something so simplistic as selling an irish whip into a corner.  When it comes to expressions or facials, Benoit and Kurt may have him beat on selling, but Bret knew how to make something look bad without killing himself doing it, which is a problem that both Kurt and Chris had.

7. I'd argue Angle.  Once the match starts, Bret's usually no-nonsense.  Benoit had the throat slit leading up to the headbutt, but that was the only time he ever engages with the audience.  Comparatively, Kurt's a regular showboat in the ring.  The straps going down, the cocky spin, the posturing for the Angle Slam, it was all pure pageantry for the audience.

8. I'd argue it's between Kurt and Benoit.  Bret could get a good match out of anyone, but good doesn't mean great.  Angle and Benoit existed in an era of high performance athletes with diverse styles and varied sizes.  Out of the gate, it didn't really matter who you put Angle in the ring with.  He'd always do well.  Benoit on the flip side of things had world renowned experience against wrestlers of different stylized cultures.  I'll give it to Benoit, but I'm hesitant to do so.

9. Benoit.  I'd argue Bret and Kurt truly only had one submission, whereas Benoit had the crossface, the sharpshooter, the occasional boston crab variant, an occasional STF variant, a fujiwara armbar, about 20 transitions to lock in a cross armbreaker, and a few submissions that I'm sure I've forgotten.

10. Benoit definitely has the bigger reputation of grappling with other grapplers, so I'll say him by default.  Angle did great against the likes of Lesnar and Benoit, but I'm pretty sure Chris wrestled every member of the Radicalz/Revolution at one point or another, had a standing rivalry with Jericho, and that memorable Owen Hart Tribute match against Bret.  There were also guys like Finlay and Regal who just meshed so well with Benoit.

11.  Kurt Angle.  No question.

12. I'd argue Kurt again.  The man's an Olympian.

13. I'd say Benoit.  I remember him having a great ladder match against Jeff Jarrett in WCW, he also did great things within the TLC environment with Jericho as a tag partner.  Chris also had quite a few great steel cage matches, and depending on if you count it as a gimmick, the triple threat at Wrestlemania and the rematch at Backlash are legendary at this point.  Bret never really veered into gimmick match territory all that often unless it was work rate based bouts or the occasional steel cage match.  He is credited for having the first ladder match in Calgary, but no one's really flaunting that footage around.  Angle might be the only contender to Benoit here with a Hell in a Cell, a few ladder matches, and a handful of kooky TNA gimmick bouts that were actually quite good in part because of Angle, but they just didn't create as many memorable spots for me as some of Benoit's later WWE ladder matches.  It's contentious though.

14. I think Kurt.  Benoit threw some decent Liger Bombs in his younger days, but Kurt always looks like he has full control of his and his opponent's body.

15. I'd argue Kurt's the quickest too.  The way he can go from being flat on the mat to the top rope in the blink of an eye sometimes astounds me.  It's unnatural.

16. I'd argue Benoit.  It goes back to the stiff looking offense.  Bret had some underrated punches, but Benoit's striking was more diverse and impactful.

17. Again, I'd argue Kurt.  Coupling that speed, that strength, and that stamina all into one Olympian's body is impressive.  The guy's a machine.

• Spyro1 month agoReport

Perfect answer. I have learned something from you in this answer too. 

• Uzaif

Who was the best grappler? Kurt Angle

Who was the best at enhancing their opponents abilities in the ring? Chris Benoit

Who was the best at making wrestling look real? Kurt Angle

Who had the best psychology? Bret Hart

Who had the best story-telling? Bret Hart

Who was the best seller/bumper? Kurt Angle

Who could work the crowd the best? Kurt Angle

Who was the best at wrestling different opponents of different styles? Kurt Angle

Who had the best submissions? Tie between Bret and Kurt

Who was the best at making their style gell with another technical wrestler, as an opponent? Again tie between Kurt and Bret

Who had better charisma and personality? Bret Hart

Who had the best stamina/conditioning? Tie between Kurt and Bret

Who was the best at wrestling in gimmick matches, such as steel cage, ladder matches, hardcore matches? Kurt Angle

Who was the strongest? Kurt Angle

Who was the quickest? Kurt Angle

Who was better at brawling/striking? Tie between Bret and Chris

Who was the most athletic? Kurt Angle.