Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

How to fake being happy?

Apparently customers and coworkers at my job have been complaining to management that I am not friendly and that I am rude. I don't mean to be rude, like I don't ever say anything that is offensive it just my facial expressions. I think it's ridiculous to complain that someone isn't friendly enough because not everyone can be bubbly. Anyway, how can I fake being happy without being obnoxious? 

• Jerry

When I was a new nurse, my supervisor told me "You're great at your nursing duties but the patients are afraid of you." I was astonished! "You have to smile at the patient each time you enter the room, each time you speak to the patient. I don't care how fake it is, you start smiling at your patients!" 

She explained "You're like a dog that lost his tail and can't wag his tail to let the other dogs know he's friendly. The other dogs think he's going to bite them."

So I started smiling, smiling, smiling all the time at work. Not just with my mouth, but with my whole face. Like no eye rolling. And check your body language too. Be aware of your posture and arm position and present yourself in a way that says "My intentions are friendly."

It was so hard at first. I felt like I was an actor in a play and the play lasted all day every day. But the more I did it the easier it got. And after the first year I could put on that "the nice nurse" personae just as naturally as I put on my name badge. It becomes habit and you don't have to think about it that much.

Don't aim for bubbly. Just kind, ready to help, interested in doing a good job. And smiling at people, standing up straight with your hands at your sides. 

Act the way you want to be and you'll be the way you act.

you could try smiling more

Nobody is asking you to be blowing clown bubbles and turning handsprings. They just want your 'resting face' to be a pleasant one. That's all: pleasant.

• Dv8s

Unfortunately, if you are not happy on the inside, it shows on the outside. You may be able to fake it for a short time by smiling, but eventually you'll go back to appearing as you feel. The best way to fake happiness, is to be happy.

I once had a job in retail where I was to be exposed to a lot of people. The woman who hired me gave me some fantastic advice. It goes along the lines of "fake it until you make it."

My boss said " pretend you are and an actor and that the store is your stage. Your role as an actor is to be respectful and pleasant to everyone you wait on."

I took that advice to Heart. Two month later I won employee of the month.

Proof positive, it works. Try it.

Smile more.  Sounds simple, right?  It isn't, because when you are not in the habit of it, you won't do it.  So much like running a marathon, you have to train for it to get your smiling muscles in shape to make it easier to do.  It is when you force yourself to use those unused smile muscles is when it comes off as fake.

Happiness comes from the inside out. Jesus said at Matthew 5 verse 3 happy are those conscious of their spiritual need. Perhaps it would be best rather than fake it to look into your relationship with your heavenly Father and see how he can help you display happiness because he is a happy God.

• Cogito

While you don't have to be 'bubbly' it's expected that you smile and be friendly and approachable.  Almost every job requires people to do that!

Look in a mirror and work on wearing a smile.  Not a huge grin or a full 'teeth-showing' beam, but just a nice smile.

Life is going to be a lot more pleasant for you if you stop making people feel uncomfortable in your presence!

• susan

Raise your eyebrows.

Smile, smile, smile.You will be adored by your colleagues