Josie asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why is my dog growling?

So my dog. German shepherd ( shillo) he is a gentle kind and family friendly. But all of sudden he started to growl (2) time by me a deep growl his ear go down. I dont do anything i sit down next to him he kiss or cuddles me and he get up and off the couch then look away and he its start to happen there no one he could growl at. No ghost either i lived in my hosue for. Ay aer  I don't get in his face or do anything to brother him.  I am very ill. Is something wrong with me or is my dog sick ??

• di

German Shepherds make great family dogs - so long as the family understands the dog's dominant tendencies.  Never feed your GSD while other family members are eating, and make sure his food is not near where the family eats.  Never let the dog exit or enter any door or room before a family member.  Don't let him sleep on anyone's bed - or even in anyone's room (until he understands that even the baby of your family is one step above him in the family pack).  None of this involves cruelty - just patience and cooperation on everyone in the family's part.

because it needs teaching its place in the heirachy of your home obviously

• patty

It is a show of domination. He thinks he be the boss. You need to teach him basic obedience. eg sit, shake hands, down etc

• patty

he thinks he is the boss and therefore is not a good dog. If you don't teach him some basic obedience he may turn into a savage dog.

• Maxi

Based only on what limited information you have said.... the humans in the house are part of the dogs pack and always should be the highest in the pack ( the leader) so the leader gets to eat first, gets the best sleeping/resting position and makes the rules, so leader the pack/makes the decisions and that ensures the pack feels safe/secure and there are no issues...however you say you are very ill and that means 'weak' energy in the dog world and as far as dogs are concerned 'weak' can't lead/protect/rule, so the dog feels insecure/anxious as there is no leader and as there has to be a leader it sounds like your dog feels it is being forced to step up and take on that leadership role ...'best sleeping position' is the couch/bed which the dog is on, you sit down so you are challenging the dog for that position by sitting on it, at the moment the dog gets off, so 'flight' but then growls ( but looks away) which suggests anxiety/submissiveness, so doesn't want to be the leader but feels forced into it and is displaying  flight and fight ( get off the couch and growl) to trying to establish his new but unwanted  position in the pack even thugh it sounds like he doesn't want that position

• Jojo

That is a very hard question to answer without seeing your dogs whole body language, but usually when a dogs ears go back and it looks away they are both submissive actions. Your dog may be hearing something that you cannot hear and is being cautious about what to actually do about it, and is trying to give `you` a warning a about it all., as he senses your weakness at the moment. It could be something he hears like vermin in the cavity walls or a fox barking in the distance. I can only give you guesses as I cannot see your dog and the circumstances that make him act the way you describe. 

Not really enough info to guess better either. Like what time of day and how often the dog acts like this. Also the dogs age and his general temperament in every day events. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.