Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How to redeem yourself at work when you stupidly make an awkward comment to another female (younger) Colleague about them not looking well?

As she said she was “going home to bed”

Then you intstantly regret it & feel bad.

As she gives you an odd look like you’re weird & says she “doesnt have make up on today”

Now she’ll hate me & I have to work with her.

I hate myself now, idiot!

Do i just “carry on?”

Cannot say anything!9

Im sorry I said it & dont want her to think im some weird older coworkee

But what if she tells other younger coworkers “what sally said to me on sunday”

She was tired at end of day, not going home early

you could try apologizing

• Jerry

When you see her, tell you're glad she's feeling better. She's not going to hate you just for saying something mildly awkward unless she's a real witch, you know? We all say things that don't come out real graciously. Don't beat yourself up over it. 

Goodness, this was nothing. Least said, soonest mended. Just be pleasant to her, as you probably are anyway.

There is no backtracking here. All you really have to do is push forward and let go  of what you said.

The only thing you really can do now is not repeat the behavior you regret. By doing so, people will soon forget what you said because you will by then have proven yourself not to be that person that says things she regrets.

I suppose you could go up to your coworker and let her know that you put your foot in your mouth when you made a comment before thinking about what you were saying. Tell her you are sorry and don't want any hard feelings so you can proceed to work together without resentment.

• RP

Let it go. If there were any wound as a result of your comment, time will permit it to heal on its own. Don't make a bad situation worse.

You offer compliments in every subsequent encounter. She probably knew she looked bad if she was going home.

Just be nice. If she is wearing something stylish, make a positive comment, which you mean. Avoid empty compliments. Safer remarks would be: That shade of blue brings out your eyes. Be genuine. We all say things we regret.

Ignore it and everyone else will too.