Is it reasonable to ask my roommate to talk quietly after midnight?

I didn’t have this problem last semester, so I’m assuming my roommate doesn’t have any morning classes. Anyway, his room is right next to mine, and he stays up past midnight playing video games and talking to his friend (on the phone). The thing is, his voice is deep, so it travels through the walls, even if he’s just talking at a normal volume. I can’t afford noise canceling earphones, so I just put in my regular earphones and play music, but I can still hear him through my music! I’ve asked him to keep it down before, but I feel bad because he’s literally just talking. The problem is his voice carries. What should I do? I have morning classes and a very demanding schedule this semester. 

you could try running a fan and wearing earplugs, thats what i do when i dont want to hear my neighbors

There's a thin wall between our apartment and the one next door, where an elderly couple live. We can hear their voices (although not their actual words), their coughing, and their bathroom activities.

We figure they can hear us, too, so when we watch TV we close the doors of our rooms that are near theirs, and wait to flush our toilet until morning so as not to disturb them.

• Jerry

Make a tape recording of what it sounds like in your room.

Then play it for him and tell him you don't make his life hard but you need your sleep. Ask him if he thinks "quiet hours" would be a reasonable house rule. 

Can you hang stuff on the walls? Hanging carpets on both sides of the wall you share would help. 

Alternatively, both of you approach your school's housing authority and for a trade that puts 2 night owls together and 2 morning doves together. Night owls and morning doves don't often make good room mates.

If you want to be really catty about it, you can start being noisy when you get up at 5 am. 

Of course it's reasonable to expect quiet when you're sleeping at midnight. 

Since you cannot control your roommate, you may have to take other measures. Move your bed to the other side of the room. If you can, staple a remnant of a carpet onto the wall. Move as much furniture on to the wall that you share with your roommate as to muffle the sound.

I once lived in a house with neighbors 15 ft away. They played loud music on their exterior speakers, which I could clearly hear on the opposite end of my house while I was indoors. I was able to drown out the noise by listening 2 music at a normal volume. So perhaps you can play either white noise or rain sounds or other audio to block out your roommates voice.

Face it, your roommate is an inconsiderate ignorant individual. It is often very hard to talk some common sense into these types of people, so don't bother. If they don't have the manners or the intelligence to realize that making noise after midnight is a No-No, then there probably is no reasoning with that idiot..

• RP

Keep trying. If he's at all considerate, he'll try to do better.

This would be very funny if we were talking face-to-face because with public speaking classes and experience on top of years of voice training, I can personally demonstrate the juxtaposition between an Opera singer who is a master of making a deep voice project and cut vs a mousey nerd girl who you can't hear yell into your ear.

Tell him to take an elective in singing or public speaking to learn to control his projection. Since this is the etiquette section, a common polite practice is to take a call outdoors of a home because, like an acoustic guitar, the building acts to amplify the vibrations of even the smallest, most shallow voice. The vibrations are knocked down and drowned out by wind, cars, and cell phone tower radiation. You may annoy passers by but only for the 12 seconds they are in passing.

Agree, rules are needed.

Both need to agree on rules.

Draw up room rules. No loud noise after midnight or before seven AM. Etc. Both of you should get to put down rules, you might do something that drives him nuts too.

break something of his and tell him that if he does not lower his voice then the next you will break his video game console