Bleeding while on birth control?

So, let me explain. I missed 4 active pills and when i got home i took 2 in the morning and 2 at night to make up for it. And than the next day i started a new pack. Ever since then I've been bleeding brown blood for 2 weeks and when i had sex today i was bleeding actual blood? Whats wrong? Am i pregnant? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Bleeding means your uterus is releasing some of the lining. No egg can implant if there is a good lining into which it can plant.  Missing four pills is equivalent to having your off week, so it isn't surprising that you are bleeding. 

I would encourage you to do the following:

1.  Use a condom for sex for the time being.

2.  Call your Ob/gyn's office and tell them what you did and what is happening.  They may want you to come in or they may just tell you to continue with your regular course of pills and use condoms until your back on track.

As an aside, if you find it difficult to remember to take your pills, you may want to consider a different type of brith control use as an implant or IUD.  Pills work great if you take them, but they don't provide protection if you don't.  We all have missed a pill or two, but you have to decide for yourself if this is the right method for you at this time.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Bleeding that much is not usually a pregnancy symptom.

However, you did OVERDOSE on your birth control by NOT FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS for what to do when you miss a pill.

You took FOUR pills in ONE DAY.  

So - what is wrong is that you can't read and following the directions for what to do when you miss your pills.  Taking four pills in the same day is NEVER recommended.  Taking them in the morning and then in the evening was NOT a long enough time frame between doubling up on the dosage.

It is very likely that the bleeding is a reaction to the overdose of pills.  It also sounds like you skip the placebo week to skip the withdrawal bleed.  That means starting the new pack of pills without giving a seven day break increased the overdose of hormones and likely increased the bleeding.

When you get to the end of this pack of pills, take a pregnancy test.  FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.  If it is negative - then start the next pack of pills on time.  If it is positive, then don't start the new pack and contact your doctor.  Pregnancy is possible since you didn't correctly take your pills.

READ all the information that comes with your pills so that you know the RIGHT WAY to deal with missing your pills.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Missed 4 pills?  Yes, you could be pregnant if you had sex.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.