I had a guy work on a house that I am fixing up to resell. It is not my residence. I don't have a business license and....?


I found out he doesn't either. Can I give him a 1099-Misc? If I can, Do I just put my social in the business identification number spot? I just need to know what to do, please help me understand all this. Never done this before. 

4 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    Another important thing to consider here is that if any of the work he has done requires it to be done by a licensed professional, you'll be looking at problems once you have an home inspector do the inspection. If there are any jobs that weren't licensed you'll have difficulty in obtaining financing.

  • Mark
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

    You download and print a W-9 for him to fill out.

    Unfortunately, you can't use a download copy of 1099-MISC.  The IRS requires you to order it from them or you have to use a service that will do it electronically.  Check w/ your tax preparer or accountant..  If you do it yourself, don't forget to order the Transmittal Form 1096.

    Looks like for 2020, there's new form:  1099-NEC for non-employee compensation.

  • Eva
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    As a private person you are not required to file the 1099, but if you do you can use your SSN.  Make sure you have receipts from the guy and not just your cancelled checks.  He will need to fill out a W9 for you that shows all the info that needs to be on the 1099. Also beware in the future of having someone work for you that isn't a business and doesn't have his own insurance. If he gets hurt on your property, it could cost you a lot of money.

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    don't worry about it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.