Schwifty asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

What is wrong with me? I have shakiness and anxiety before my period.?

The day before my period hits. Like right now; I am shaky, stomach is growling and I’m anxiety ridden.

It’s an awful feeling and it almost feels like I am just cold and can’t quit shaking. But I’m not cold.

My pms is way worse than my period and it makes me jittery.

I would try pamprin or midol but they all contain caffeine and it doesn’t make it better.

Any advice is appreciated. I had my tubes tied 5 years ago and I think it’s part of tubal ligation syndrome 

• 1 week ago

As a woman of age to menstruate you are experiencing normal hormonal fluctuations - and this is how they manifest for you.  Different people are affected differently by their hormonal cycles and the same person can be affected differently depending on their general physical health, what they are eating, their sleep cycles and any drugs or supplements they might be taking.

I’d try to avoid caffiene, especially coffee, near your period.  The caffiene in coffee and tea are actually from different chemicals.  If you can, get to green tea, which is much healthier.  Stomach growling is easy, eat something healthy.  If this is a common symptom for you, be aware of it and try to eat more, smaller, healthy meals around this time.  Find some healthy snacks you like, like an apple and a handful of nuts or tablespoon or two of peanut butter, that are satisfying.  

Anything that makes you jittery you should avoid completely, especially caffiene (especially from coffee) and sugar or refined carbs, like white flour, which rush so much sugar into your blood steam at once that it’s impossible to not have a reaction to it.

When I was running and eating right my pms as well as about 15 years of perimenopause would be fairly mild.  If I was not exercising, eating crappy, drinking lots of coffee or alcohol they would be totally out of control.  For me, the manifestation was a physical discomfort and heaviness in my body, especially my abdomen, and being a RAGING b-itch.  I was just awful to be around and my coworkers are lucky to have survived my raging pms and perimenopause when I wasn’t taking care of myself.

Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a condition involving physical and emotional symptoms that women usually experience in a week or two before the menstrual period. These symptoms affect emotional and physical health, as well as the behaviour of women during the menstrual cycle – before the beginning of the period.

PMS is a very common condition and affects more than 90 per cent of women who menstruate. The symptoms of PMS last for 10 days and eventually fade out at the start of the period. Symptoms also tend to recur in set patterns; however, the intensity of the symptoms depends on person-to-person – from non-significant to intense. However, PMS can easily be managed provided one understands the reasons for it, the types of PMS, causes, risks, and treatment options.