How long did you wait to go to medic school?

I’ve been BLS for 2 1/2 years now working private EMS doing both IFT and 911 and as an ER tech. I’ve been thinking about taking the leap to get my medic (my state doesn’t do advanced) but I know I don’t know it all. Any words of advice? How long did you wait? 

I don’t want to be a “zero to hero”. Other people tend to not respect medics when they rush into medic school without some solid BLS experience 

• Daniel

I was a volunteer EMT off and on for about 15 years before going to paramedic school.  Almost everyone else in my class had several years of experience in EMS (most of them full time).  I was the only EMT-1 (equivalent to EMT-B) in the class with the exception of one guy that basically went right into the class with no experience who dropped out in the first semester.  

I went into the program right after I retired from the military.I have met paramedics that had limited experience prior to going to P school and they were all pretty good paramedics.

After a year or two on the job as a paramedic, no one is going to know whether or not you had any significant time as an EMT prior to becoming a paramedic.  Any shortcomings you might have from limited patient contacts would be fixed after a while as a paramedic.  If you have a decent call volume, 2.5 years isn't that bad.

• Jason

The purpose of paramedic school is to turn non-medics into medics. NOBODY knows it all -- including paramedic instructors. If you knew it all before going to medic school, there would be no purpose for it. 

2-3 years is plenty of experience in BLS. BLS skills don't go away or become unimportant as a paramedic, so they want you to have had some time putting those skills into practice. If you have spent time in an ER and running 911 calls, you have the requisite experience. Of course, EVERYONE would like to have more experience but at a certain point, you have to keep moving forward. If you're feeling the pull toward school, then go. 

As an aside, I found the USAF Reserve a valuable experience. It's one of the very, very few places you can get a guaranteed job - and flight medic is one of them. If you've considered the military as a possible part of your path, that would be one way to garner more experience, do something unique, and get a bunch of money to help pay for further education. 

Best wishes. 

Source(s): Former USAF flight medic Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my masters in nursing.