Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 4 weeks ago

How does Y!A decide where the questions are placed?

Sometimes it seems so random and other times it's spot on. Is it word or phrase detection or something else?

Update:

Furthermore is there anything I can do to make it stop? I've had people getting arsey with me for not putting questions in the right places when it wasn't me who put them there

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes, it's word/phrase recognition. That's why questions about German Shepherd dogs so often get posted under 'Language' rather than 'Pets'.

But it's always the Asker's responsibility to check immediately to see if their question was posted in a suitable category. If it wasn't, it's your further responsibility to move it to the right one.

Everyone, whether level One or level Seven, can move their own questions.

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's an algorithm (programming code) that looks for keywords that indicate where a question should go. No, you can't turn it off. You CAN relocate your question after it hits the site, if it lands in the wrong place. Another alternative is to include keywords in your question that will help it land in the right subcategory (some users preface their question with all or part of the subcategory name such as "Yahoo Answers: How does Y!A decide where the questions are placed?" or "Fitness: What is the best treadmill to buy on a budget?")

• LAN
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

By the use of an algorithm and key words.

Check after posting a question to make sure it posts in the right category and use the edit button if it isn't in the right place.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Someone wrote an algoritm after someone decided that the algoritm would be smarter than the average anglo

All you can do is move YOUR questions to the right category

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Its Based on Key Words so it looks for Words used in your Questions and Guesses it Based on that

Sometimes it gets it Right other times it may not get it Right

• 4 weeks ago

the computer might do that

• 4 weeks ago

It is based on keywords in the question header. The software is a LOT better than it used to be, but sometimes questions do end up in odd categories. We pretty much no linger get questions about celebrities in Astronomy & Spa e, but sometimes you suspect that someone has intentionally posted or moved their question intentionally to the wrong category or it is random

The same question can be in two different subcategories, like Paranormal and Astronomy & Space, or Physics & Astronomy & Space.

If your question posts in the etong category, Left click or tap the "Edit" button or pencil Icon, then left click or tap "Edit category".  Left cluck the category you Wang, then left click or tap the subcategory you want. There may be subsub and subsubsub categories. Then left click of tap " Submit. " 

• Once a question has been posted a subcategory will be assigned to that question based on the wording.  I have found my questions just go to Polls & Surveys.  But again it is based on how the question is written and words used.

You can always move your own question.  Just click on the edit tab and edit the category.  You place it where you think it will get the best answers.  No one else can move it but you.  

You first select the category and then the subcategory for your question. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

they might let the computer decide

• John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That can only be figured out by IQs of 5 or above.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.