Alex asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 1 month ago

live free or die! do you agree with that What freedom is this phrase referring to?

Favorite Answer

It is the state motto here in New Hampshire. It's also on our license plates. It goes all the way back to General John Stark, a New Hampshire veteran of the Revolutionary War. The spirit of the phrase also lives on in the politics of the state as we famously libertarian compared the our neighbor Massachusetts. To that end we don't have a state sales or income tax and our state legislators only make $200 per term (2 years).

after 80 years of Freedom No freedom means i am already dead

I think it's hyperbolic.  It's meant to sound dramatic.  Like 'Give me liberty or give me death!'  It's the kind of overblown dramatic rhetoric used in politics.

But I don't agree with it.  I would say 'Live free or try to GET free.'  Especially in a constitutional democratic republic like we have.  Nobody kills themselves because they don't think they're free.  They FIGHT for whatever is their idea of freedom.  And good for them!

Whenever I see a New Hampshire license plate, I have to chuckle at the mental vision of inmates in prisons working all day to stamp out license plates that say 'Live free or die!'

(I have personally visited the room where Patrick Henry made his famous 'Liberty or Death Speech'.  In a church in Richmond, VA.  The tourguide even pointed out that while today we see that as great revolutionary pro-freedom rhetoric, everyone else in the room at the time (The Virginia House of Burgesses) must have thought 'Wow, what an a**hole!'   8^)  ) .

It's referring to my people.  We've been held here in the USA against our will for a little over 400 years now.

Many of us jumped off the slave ships and met our deaths in the Atlantic.

We'll never forget their bravery.

I don't really care which freedom, all of them, as long as it isn't infringing on the rights of other people to also be free.