Can i request to be intubated?

I being gpoing through pul.onary embolism on both lungs. It hurts when o breath. They already got me in icu due tp clot in my legs and lungs. I dont see wjy they cant help me. Cuz at least that way i wouldnt have to struggle to breath

• Jason

Heck no. Intubation comes with some serious risks. The first thing we do when we put someone on a ventilator is try to determine how we'll get them off as quickly as possible. 

One of the key metrics every ICU keeps track of is ventilator days -- the longer you are on the vent, the higher your risk of death. Every day you are on the ventilator increases your risk of death by another 12% independent of other illness factors. The vent doesn't fix anything. It won't get rid of that feeling of not being able to breathe -- in fact, it will make it worse. That's why we give sedation to people on the vent. If you are adequately exchanging gases, you don't need a ventilator. If you are capable of writing this question. you are a LONG way from needing to be intubated. And like all serious procedures with high risk, they are not done by request. 

.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my masters in nursing

you can ask them about it

• Jason

If you're capable of asking, you don't need a vent. 

You cant be that ill if you can still manage to logon and access yahoo answers/.