Is it too much?

For valentine's day I wanted to take my boyfriend on a helicopter ride that will come to $300.00. Anyways I mentioned this to my mother and she said I was stupid for doing that and that it should be the man doing that not the woman and should not be spending that much. She also mentioned that it will make me look weak and be a turn off for him or that it will make me look too in love.

Anyways, her comments bothered me and kind of wanted to know other people's opinions. Thank you for your time.

Favorite Answer

Next time don't share your plans with people, if your plans make you happy then go for it. People are quick to judge and point the finger.

No it's not too much.  I think that's a really nice idea actually

I am not sure what your mom is talking about. And even though it is expected that a man usually pays for a date, and to that point, men usually pay, because before WWII, less then 10% of women had jobs. And most of them, were working for their family.  Unless your family ran a business or you were very smart, or a movie actor, women did not work. Now, 45% of the current work force are women.  As for your question, any man who usually pays for most time spent dating, I can say, once in a while most men would expect their GF to make dinner, or once in a while pay for going out. Assuming sex is mutual. Both want it, and like it. Everything else is up to you too both.  And I do not know any sane man who if our Girlfriend took us out on a special date, and it cost a few hundred, we would not be offended, or think you are a weak person. We would be so happy, we would do almost anything you want. We would add a foot or body massage, for 2 weeks, and would do it even if we knew we would not have sex that night.  I always say, even if I was 99% wrong, I say do what you think is special for your Boyfriend, because you love him.  Do not think of anything else. You love him, want to surprise him, and have a special date with him.  

I think you should be able to get him something for 300 dollars that he would enjoy more than that. I would take a day of having sex over it and save you a lot of money, of course you could always take me out to eat at a fast food place when we had finished having sex, I'm sure I would be very hungry. 

I have to agree with your mom. It's great that you love your boyfriend and to want to do nice things for you, but that is a bit over the top. I also feel that it's up to the man to give you those types of presents, not the other way around. I would put the money into something constructive, and let him surprise you.

In the end, though, it's ultimately up to you.

Just went grocery shopping today. Came to a total of 407$, so...

• Alan H

You wanted to spend on one event as much as some families have to live on for 8/9 months! 

• Jael HL

Where is that place where i can live with 300 dollars for that long time? 

Honestly, it depends on how long you guys have been dating and how old you are. If you’re in high school/college, yes it’s too much. If y’all are both working adults and are in a long term relationship then no, but I think it would be better to do that on his birthday than Valentine’s Day. In my point of view, guys like having nice gifts too and I don’t see anything wrong with women giving nice gifts. 

I think spending that much for Valentine's day is way over the top. Unless you're an adult woman with a high-paying corporate job and have a boyfriend who is the same. Otherwise, you're going overboard

• Eva

That is excessive and way too much to spend on valentine's day.

He's your boyfriend. You do what YOU want. Depends how long he's been around. If it's only a few months then 300 is rather a lot to spend on him. Helicopter rides are a real luxury gift for special occasions with a long-term partner. A b/f of less than a year wouldn't expect such a thing and if he's a bit short of cash, he might feel worried that he can't match such a present when your birthday comes around.