Are The Smiths, The Cure, and Depeche Mode goth or punk? ?

I'm confused because there's some people that says they are and others that says the opposite. 

they go between lite punk and new wave

The Smiths were an early form of EMO 

The Cure depends on what Album you listen to cept reinventing themselves and being pushed by the record label to make more money making main stream pop have returned to their roots of goth/emo/punk

Depeche Mode are 80's electro dance music 

I call Depeche electronic/pop/new wave

The Cure alternative (dont ask me to what)

The Smiths alternative

its still kinda all new wave to me im not familiar with the term post punk...basically its a little weird compared to mainstream

I think they're new wave pop.

Personally, I think that being goth is just a trait rather than a music genre. When you ask someone what their favorite genre of music is, no one's gonna say "goth music". If for you, "goth" are things like My Chemical Romance or the White Stripes, that's basically going into emo or punk music itself. I'd say the three bands are early punk bands as emo wasn't that big of a genre until pop punk became a hit in the 2000s.

• WUWR

Being honest, I get that The Cure gets put into the goth basket but in listening to the tunes and taking the image out of it I just don't see much overlap between Bauhaus and the Sisters of Mercy and that type of thing with The Cure. I'm no goth connessieur though so my opinion may be a bit on the ignorant side. Just an impression I've always had. Though, I had quite a few legit "goth" type friends (though they would laugh at the designation) in the early to mid 90s and they all liked the Cure, so there's that.

Really in all of these cases I would go with post punk/artsy new wave. You could probably paint the college rock/early days of "alternative" tag on the Smiths more than new wave. Those bands are honestly kind of in their own unique little lanes. Tough to really pin down.

well, i think of goth-rock as being part of post-punk. so the genre itself is in the fringes of punk.

but as for those particular bands, i'd only list the cure as being goth rock. i'd call the smiths alternative rock/post-punk and i'd call depeche mode new wave synth-pop.