Dirac
Dirac asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

Global warming regulars: what are your occupations?

Clearly there's a large divide among members of this forum, and learning more about each other may help bridge that and provide insight into how we came to arrive at out opinions. I know many people have shared (Dirac, JimZ, Elizabeth, etc.) but many others haven't, so it would be interesting to learn more. I'll start off (although I think most already know), I am a lecturer in physics at a university and I work (consult) for a private meteorology company. If you're retired, you can let us know what you're retired from.

Horse, if you'd been my high school calculus teacher, proofs would have been much easier! I can imagine her saying "Prove Dirac_is_on_Yahoo is a continuous function over the interval 0 to 365" and I could have said "Teacher, I have proved it! I have looked at a whole bunch of points from all over that interval, and the function exists at every one of those points!" And I imagine her (you) saying "Yes, it is true for a few dozen of the infinite number of points, so it must be true everywhere!"

Luckily for me, my teacher knew how to do proofs.

"Alarmists..." (that is, Horse the troll), doesn't answer, but asks me a to show something I've written besides my dissertation.  I wrote a comment telling him about the very first thing I published (in a magazine called the Fedco Reporter), but when I hit enter, I found out he blocked me--as usual. Why is he so scared of actual answers?

I thank everyone that's shared their occupation so far. I notice that Horse and his troll accounts refuse to share theirs, as does Daro. You have to wonder why--are they paid trolls, do they work for fossil fuel companies? Are they perpetually unemployed and on the public dole? Daro says "I have more degree[sic] than Greta Thunderbug[sic]..[b]ut i[sic] have less than Will Happer..."  I guess he means that he has at least a high school diploma, but not a Ph.D. Great, thanks, but the...

...question was about your OCCUPATION.  Maybe in a few days I'll ask the education question again.

Favorite Answer

I'll be decent for a change.  I'm a chemist, retired now.  I used to work in the pharmaceutical industry mostly in process development and scale up.  I finished working for a fine chemical industry in production support.  I let my arguments speak for themselves rather than try to support them with an unverifiable claim about my education.

What needs addressing is the science. Understanding is created by rigorous adherence to the scientific method. Science is advanced through proving or disproving theories. Science is not advanced by knowing what people do for a living, where they went/go to school, where they live.

To be a "science" it must be predictive. Climate "science" has failed in its predictive ability repeatedly. If people were actually keeping track of all the failed predictions this charade would have ended long ago. 

The theories positing CO2 as causing the bulk of the recent warming have failed. They need to be abandoned -- that is if the scientific method is followed.

Sea level rise is a global average of about 10 to 12 inches per century -- relatively constant for many decades. NASA says the planet has greened as a result of the increase in the atmospheric concentration of the plant fertilizer CO2. Warmer temperatures have contributed to this greening, too. Glaciers were receding at the end of the Little Ice Age (LIA) and before atmospheric increases in CO2. There are significantly more polar bears now than in the early 50's. Warmer temperatures mean fewer temperature related deaths, unlike colder temperatures, which mean more temperature related deaths. All in all, the warming since the LIA has been beneficial and not at all a cause for concern.

Fossil fuels have been a boon for lifting the people of the earth out of the dire poverty, hunger, etc., of just a few hundred years ago. CO2 is not a pollutant.

And of course we should work to reduce real pollutants. Calling CO2 a pollutant distracts from solving the problems caused by real pollutants.The real causes for concern are not the recent warming but are 1) the damage (global disruption resulting in significant human deaths) that will be caused by a premature abandonment of fossil fuels; 2) the economic damage caused by moving to a top-down central planning approach to counter the non-existent problems presented by the global warming version of climate change; 3) the damage from the inevitable turn to colder weather worldwide that will bring crop failures, civil strife, more weather related deaths, warfare, etc. That is the history of colder times. The history of warmer times is prosperity and its blessings.Cold always follows warm, just as warm always follows cold. That is the science of climate change.

Global warning is like a dirty chicken shed .I sued a maltese mafia boss and his 14 brothers a chicken farm owner and he's trying to turn the world against my family .Now listen george when your dead franks friends will take over again george. .Frank daughter will lose 18 million 4 thousand a year until you stop I AM INNOCENT .now stop it you soak them use blacks or unclean pratices this is why

None of your business, you phony.  Let's see something--OR ANYTHING--you have published besides your PhD.  You don't have it.

• Daro

The guy has no PHDs. Google Dirac. He is dead. His rhetoric and lack of comprehension places him firmly in his mamas basement....until he is 26 of course.

• oikoσ

Retired ecologist, both teaching and consulting.

• Dirac

Thanks!

You say "let us know" what you retired from.  Why do you always use the word "us?"  Who the hell is "us?"

• Daro

multiple sock puppets. Old liberal trick

• JimZ

I am a legendary nature photographer (a legend in my own mind) and hiker but to get spending money and keep my trophy Asian Wife (she likes that label),  on most weekdays, I drag myself behind a computer and help clean up old chemical spills for the most part.  Yesterday I worked overtime on this Allen's Hummingbird at Bolsa Chica Ecological Preserve and he is showing his gorgeous gorget and his two little feathers on his tail that prove he is not a Rufus Hummingbird.  I had to crop him a bit to get within the allowable upload.  I decided to grab a different pic if you noticed the difference and crop it closer because it shows the eyes better and YA tends to dull the picture and make it look less detailed than the original.  

• JimZ

I just filled up my hummingbird feeder over my Koi pond an hour ago.  My Allen's was sitting on the wire waiting for me.  He isn't as pretty yet as the guy in the photo.  

Glorious Leader of the People's Democratic (ha! they wish!) Republic of Liz. It's not so much an occupation as a vocation ... or is it vacation ... whatever it was I'm now drunk on the power and it has gone to my head.

But the real reason I decided to grace you with my answer is because you left a bowl out and two M&Ms the same colour were touching. I wanted you to know that if that sort of anarchy happens again you will be the one twisting the two wires together on my next atomic bomb test.

• Elizabeth

Who told you that? We're all megalomaniacs with the power of life and death over people! MUAHHAHAHAHA!

LMAO at the unemployed bum!   You do no such thing!  You're just trying to cover up because I exposed you.  You post here for pay, so I guess you might call that a "job."

You are on Yahoo 24-7-365.  I see your time stamps.  You even post on Sunday.  You probably posted Christmas day because you have zero life.

Seriously dude, I can't believe anyone would stoop this low just because they got exposed.  You are THEE WORST LIAR I HAVE EVER SEEN.  You should cut your losses, but you don't.  Good God, you really are a sociopath.

environmental science major at unc charlotte

• Dirac

Thanks!