Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Are dental fillings safe?

I got a dental filling that releases flouride, i have read flouride is harmful.Is The amount it releases insignificant to cause problems?

Fillings better be safe because I have one in almost every tooth haha! But fluoride strengthens your teeth against decay so it's actually a good thing to have. It can help prevent cavities especially if your dentist misses a spot of decay when he's drilling out a cavity. It helps prevent the cavity from growing under the filling which you definitely want because that can be pretty bad, speaking from experience. 

Source(s): My mouth full of fillings

Hi, Dental fillings are safe. I remember we doing silver amalgam fillings in college days about 20 years ago and believe me, they are so strong they last for years until it was told that mercury which is used to mix the alloy could be harmful over a period of time. There are different other materials used in a dental filling like Glass ionomer cement.which is made by different manufacturers. There is also composite cement (Tooth Colour) which is used in day to day dental practice.

Yes, the excess amount of fluoride present in drinking water in certain parts of different countries and regions can harm teeth but I would disagree about any fluoride-releasing from a dental filling.

I'm pretty sure they use mercury in dental fillings and I read somewhere that mercury is bad for you, so probably not a good thing to have that in your mouth.  Better check, maybe your dentist gave you both flouride and mercury. Yikes!!

• k w

composites don't release fluoride....maybe you need to upgrade dentists, to a Holistic one, you can use Yelp dot com to locate one using your zipcode....I'll never go back to dial up dentistry....

• edward

Floride shouldn’t be released since they dental fillings don’t contain it. But Floride is in the tap water in Canada, that’s what makes it safe to drink

• Tavy

Rubbish, no dental fillings release anything. The U.K. has had fluoride in our drinking water for over 50 years.

We are not all dead.

The tap water you drink has fluoride. I forgot when it started, but cities all across the US have fluoride into water because fluoride has proven to prevent dental decay. 

Tooth fillings do not release fluoride. They may contain fluoride and some may leak out but it’s not designed to release fluoride. 

There is no concrete evidence that fluoride is harmful. Toothpaste, mouthwash all contain fluoride. 

• justin4 weeks agoReport

Its patterson flowable composite, it says it releases flouride