promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 3 months ago

What are The Proms like in America? When is the Proms season in America?

What are the Proms like in America. The proms season in Britain is from July through Mid September, and the Last Night of the Proms is a really big deal?

What are the proms like in America and when is their season?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Assuming that you are not referring to high school dances, the English-style proms are rare; but many cities and venues offer summer outdoor concerts.  For instance, I live near Chicago, and in the City of Chicago, they conduct FREE symphonic and light classical performances several nights a week in Grant Park downtown.  North of the city, there is something called the "Ravinia Festival," which offers a variety of classical, contemporary, popular programs in a private park.  Other major cities offer similar programs; and smaller towns often sponsor summer band concerts.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

The only ones I know about are high school proms, usually in May.  It's just a dance, sometimes they might have a live band or it might be recorded music and some people leave early and go do other things.

• 3 months ago

We use the word "proms" to mean semi-formal dance parties that are for high school students - the big one being the Senior Prom,  for those graduating that year) and the runner-up being the Junior Prom - for those one year away from graduation.  Like many things, these have spread into lower grades, but diluting their original meaning is foolish. If you are a Brit, then you mean the Proms to be summer concerts - often given in a lovely hall.  We have summer concert series of several full-time professional orchestras - the Boston Symphony moves to it summer site at Tanglewood, where some patrons sit in The Shed  - an auditorium that is open to the elements on 3 sides - while others choose to to bring folding chairs or blankets, and picnic meals, and eat on the vast lawn.  This same scenario is duplicated in Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and many places in between, starting around Memorial Day - the last weekend in Many - and finishing by Labor Day - the first weekend in September  Many smaller local communities will have volunteer or professional band concerts in local parks, which, unlike the professional major orchestras, do not charge admission, but are funded by the local parks department.  And of course, there are the summer-long rock and jazz festivals - some of which are very civilized, and some of which are just bacchanals. This last category is pretty far from what I take to be YOUR definition of a Proms.

Source(s): As a professional musician, I have BEEN to a ton of these and PLAYED in a ton of the local ones.
  • Brian
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I don't think we do proms over here.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.