Anonymous

How to deal with not doing as well as my friends career wise? Ashamed Im a loser?

I am 33, have a Bachelors degree from college, and am still an administrative assistant and have not gotten promoted any higher than that. My friends are all fireman, business men, engineers, or higher level positions than me. I am embarassed about my career around them. 

well guess what, I;m 40 and I am an assistant manager of a craft store, I don't make squat,

I have friends who are making 3 times what I am. in my early 20's and late teens I saved most of my paychecks, I'm really glad I did now.

your doing fine....

Promotions tend to happen when you do MORE than what is expected of you at your job..  when you ask to learn more, or take on additional assignments.

• y

You did not say what your degree is in, did not say where you wished to go from being an admin, did not say if you are still trying to find a job in your field or if you gave up. Did not say whether or not you are happy doing what you are doing.

No wonder why your peers have pulled ahead.

• Edwena

Knowing nothing, my guess is that you do not network.  You do not know or talk to the bosses.  The key to promotion is to be known by those who promote.  When the opportunity arises, they think of you.  What you have to do is find out where they talk, generally it is after work when everyone has left. You stay late, eventually they will let you in to the group if you never reveal anything discussed.  You learn a lot and eventually you are the natural promotion.

One can measure "success" with money if one wants to, but one doesn't have to, especially someone with education.