Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Should I contact HR about this? Will my manager retaliate?

was in surgery one day and I had gotten an update on him in which I checked my cell phone, my manager checked the cameras and saw me on my cell and wrote me up. She left my write up on our safe behind our counter to which ALL employees saw this..which is EMBARRASSING and breaking MY privacy..my manager never confronted me about it or talked to me about it and never followed up with me regarding any of it, I want to call HR but Im afraid she'll schedule me less because of it or look for every little thing to get me fired..what should I do?!

my son was in surgery*

You don't HAVE privacy to violate in the workplace.

You are FLAT OUT LYING about a write up that you were not told about.

Not going to go well for you, I'd let it go.

• hamel5

Check your employee handbook.  Write ups are usually supposed to be presented to the employee ( how else could we improve our behaviour?)    

Ask for a sit down with your manager and express your concerns - ask if you need to witness the report.  

I wouldn't worry too much about embarrassment -doubt if anyone else sees this as a major infraction. 

In the future - if you require emergency phone contact,  notify management ahead of time. 

I am sure your coworkers see you screwing off on your phone as well, so they knew.