What laptop is good for an 8 year old child?

My son has had several tablets and he is ready to upgrade to a laptop. The problem is most low cost laptops have a ridiculously low spec. Most have no more than 64GB of storage and one USB port. He mostly uses it for games. A lot of modern games use 10GB each. So if i get a USB mouse and allowing for the space the operating system uses he will run out of space in a few days. Is there a reasonably priced option that will do a good job for him?

• Dave

Any "laptop" with only 64G space, is not a real laptop. It's a glorified tablet.

Depending on which games you're talking about (most 8 year olds do not play modern games), you're going to need a semi decent laptop with a discrete video card. That's going to start, at a minimum, around $500 or more. A lower end gaming laptop will easily set you back $1000.

Without knowing what games you want it to work with, really can't help much more.

• Just Wondering0001

Hi. tryt a used laptop for about $35 - $45 from Craigslist. it'll haver an older OS than Win10. but as long as it's Win7 or better & a dual-core 2Ghz + non-shared RAM video card it should run those fine.

Actually , 8 years is too young to use laptops or any electronic devices ...if he wants to play games can play outdoor games , read books as it will make him physically strong 

https://www.pskitservices.com/laptop/

• Steven

As you mentioned what laptop good for 8 year old kid. I want to clear one thing is that, Laptop, tablets etc. is not good for kids. You have to force your kid to do physical activities and play outdoor games. It helps your kid to fit and boost their energy. It just upon you. We can just suggest you... Good Luck! 

Go to ebay, and buy a cheap enterprise computer. Many companies cycle out computers every 5 years. You can pick up a DELL Latitude for under $100 bucks. Then you can install Linux Mint or something like that on it. I got mine for $27 dollars. Core i5 CPU, 500gb hard drive, 8 gigs of ram. A steal for $27 bucks. And Since LInux Mint is free. I didn't have to buy a Windows install disk for it either. So that might be an option. Not sure what kind of games your kid plays though. Not all games work on Linux.  You can check protondb's website for a list of tested and working games using the Steam Proton compatibility engine.  If that wont work for you, You're just going to have to bite the bullet and get a proper Laptop.  But in this case a used one still isn't a bad idea. How well does an 8 year old treat a Laptop anyway? You probably don't want to give him something brand new.  Just my two cents.

If he was my child then I would try to teach him what I know about computers, and then try to get him to start working at the age of 8 years old, and this is apart from him being home schooled.

If my child was not able to learn that quick then I would put the cap on 13 years old. I would want to see my own child succeed in life, so I would want to see as much progress as possible.

I believe at the age of 8 years old it's possible, for a kid that young to start working in IT, and then the child can save up to buy a computer that has good specs. If an 8 year old child has a parent, or parents who work in IT then maybe the odds would be greater that the child actually ends up following in one, or both of the parent's foot steps.

I would give one of my computers to my child if I ever had one, and then I would teach my child at a younger age about IT.

My computers have better specs than what you described. I would not consider to buy a computer that has low specs like what you described. I work in IT, so if I were to teach my child how to use a computer then my kid would know a lot more about computers than a lot of other people.

• Enigma

Invest in a half-way decent Chromebook for him.

• Enigma

You most certainly can,just not those games that require mega amount of ram and an 8 year old child shouldn't be playing them any way,way too much violence and sexual content.

In my honest opinion, I think 8 is too young to have his own electronics, let alone a laptop. 

Now hear me out on this. He already has several tablets, as you already mentioned. That is way more than enough. If he is spending extended periods of time on his electronics without supervision, that is extremely unhealthy for a young, developing child. If he is watching kid videos on YouTube, make sure that autoplay is off. You do not want your son to stumble upon those disturbing, fake children videos. Monitor his usage, set time limits. Make sure he doesn't come across porn sites, which are lurking everywhere on the internet these days (there are plenty of ways to block them).Have him go outside, read a book, make friends, appreciate nature, teach him to ride a bike, to skateboard, to play sports, etc. Don't have him grow up to be completely dependent on technology. A friend of mine has an 8 year old sister who is always on her tablet. We went on a camping trip last summer, and almost the whole time she was glued to the tablet, watching god knows what. When we went hiking, she and her family stopped not even halfway through the trail because she was tired and bored, since nature walks don't give her that same dopamine boost as her tablet. If your child is overly dependent on technology, everything else will become mundane in comparison. They will grow up to be socially awkward, depressed, bored, and overly anxious. Constant usage of electronics is an over-indulgence in dopamine that will ultimately damage a child's development.If your son has been living like this for his whole life, it may be very difficult to reverse the effects by now. By now, he would refuse to give up his electronics to do anything else. If this has only been going on for a year or two, there is still hope. Have him appreciate the world around him before giving him electronics. I would say that if your kid's age isn't even in the double digits, he/she should experience the real world first. That way he can grow up to be a happy, creative, independent, and strong person. 

• P

The problem is most laptops $500 or less will be less powerful than something like a new iPad.   While a cheap laptop will be good for his homework as required he'll go back to the tablet after a few weeks for the games.  Otherwise the cheapest capable laptop for real games is something like a Dell G3.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-and-games/n...

It is what it is.  I get that's probably more than you want to spend, but if you can't get something that works well he's better off just sticking with tablets which is fine too.  

look for one with two USB ports and get an external storage [hard disk]

Get a used one.