How to go on Holiday alone?

Like how and when would I change the money for the country? When do I pay baggage fees? When I arrive how would I get a ride to my hotel?

• drip

Go to your bank where you live, they can give advise. My husband mainly uses his credit card. Take out some cash in the currency from an ATM once you have arrived. 

You pay airplane baggies fees when you check in at the airport. 

You can see if your hotel offers a shuttle service. Or you grab a taxi.

If you are a novice at traveling, perhaps a trip in your own country first would be best. 

• -

The rest of the world has ATMs, Taxis and Wi-Fi.

It just like at home (where ever you are)

You can change money before you leave your country, at a bank or currency exchange.

You pay baggage fees when you check in the baggage you're paying the fee for, if you didn't pay when you booked your ticket.

You can get to your hotel by taking a taxi, or an Uber if they go to that airport, a shuttle bus if the hotel has one, or public transit.

I think anyone who needs to ask these questions, particularly the last one, is not ready to travel alone except on a guided tour.

• alan P

I think most of the advice below is OK.  If you are flying think about taking hand luggage only.  Some of this depends on where you are going and for how long

I go to AAA and get a "trip pack" of Euros when I go to Europe.  It's about $130 for 100E, not a great rate, but it gets me enough to get started, then I use ATMs.  Be careful which ATMs you use, and don't use the exchange rate option, you get charged more.  And ATMs in front of banks are less scammy than random ATMs which can charge exorbitant fees.

If you are traveling to Europe, most airlines allow for 1 complimentary carry on.  Budget international airlines may appear to be a good deal, but they can kill you on baggage fees.  If you are required to pay baggage fees, you pay them when you check your bags.  Quite often, it's a bit cheaper if you log into the airlines website and pre-pay your bags.  This also applies to domestic carriers, such as Spirit. 

Most European cities have excellent public transportation.  I don't generally use buses or trains as I don't want to haul my bags.  Go to a taxi stand and get a cab.  There're often people wandering around trying to get a cab for you. Don't use them, as it will be more expensive than using a cab stand.  I bought a taxi voucher at the tourism office in Lisbon and paid 20 euros.  When I went to the cab stand it was 12.  You can also use google maps and other travel sites to get estimates of what the charge should be. It may not be exact, but it will give you some ideas.  

Most of us take money out at an ATM once we get to the country. Make sure your bank or credit card company knows that you are traveling outside your country or they may cut you off. There's always an ATM in the airport where you can get money immediately.

If you check in online for your flight, you will have the chance to say how many bags you have, and put in a credit card to pay the baggage fees. Or you can pay them at the airport when you check in at the airline desk.

Research ahead by googling "transportation nameofairport". Some airports, like CDG in Paris, have both a train and buses that you can take to the heart of the city. It's quite expensive to take a taxi because the airport is far out. In other cities, a taxi might be the best option. Follow the signs in the airport to the train, bus, or taxi stand. There will be a line of taxis. You may also find that Uber works, depending on the country. Once you get your baggage, request an Uber on your phone app (this is assuming you have an international plan that allows you to use your phone in other countries). 

Money - you can often do in advance in your own country; there will be places to exchange there (avoid airports)

Baggage fees - depends on the airline / whether you're exceeding the allowed limits

Transport - pre plan, and figure out your route and options (there's always a taxi rank at an airport)

1. A bank in your country or in the destination country.

2. What "baggage fees"?

3. Try a taxi, bus, train, subway...

Have a great time!! 🙂