Why do previous generations say how bad today's music is?

I really enjoy today's music and I don't say how bad previous generations music is. I actually really enjoy previous generations music as much as I love today's music. Are they just complaining or is there something else I am missing?

I also enjoy music from many different generations and genres, however i think since the turn of the century music has been made on computers rather than manually created with real instruments. Back in the 60's/70's/80's and even the 90's you needed to be able to sing or be able to actually play your instrument. 

Now many pop artists don't need to do any of this everything is auto-tuned and done on computers, I found many of my friends who primarily listen to pop music either listen to older pop music or venture into other genre's like rock because that appears to be a genre where a lot of the music is still created by hand. 

Plus i also think reality TV has had it's hand in how music is perceived as bad, shows like Britain/America's got talent, X-Factor, The Voice, Pop Idol, etc. all of this music is completely artificial and has no soul in it.

Not just previous generations. 

As a Generation Xer who grew up on the great singer-songwriters of the '70s, the many metal variations of the 80s, and the groundbreaking alt-rock of the '90s, my love is for real music, played by real musicians, on real instruments, with real voices. So much of today's music, made on computers and digitally enhanced, with pre-programmed beats and auto-tuned vocals, sounds artificial to me. There's no soul to it. So much of it sounds the same, interchangeable from one artist to the next. There are of course some artists who still do things the old school way, but they're fewer and farther between now.

But as I said, not just previous generations. My daughter, who is a Millennial, also happens to dislike a lot of modern music. I've never forced my tastes onto her, I've always encouraged her to like what she wants to like, and never disparaged her for the things she does like -- and it just so happens that she despises Miley Cyrus. Can't stand Justin Beiber. Couldn't care less about One Direction. Thinks Billie Eilish is a poser. She'd rather rock out to Ghost or kick back to Nirvana than hang around the mall listening to Robin Thicke.

• Jacob4 weeks agoReport

Robin Thicke is a generation Xer

I'm not sure where you fit in as far as which "generation" you are. My guess is that you are in-between that of 10-year old son and myself. I imagine you are talking about the 2010's as today's music or at least some portion of the 2010's. So anyway my son and I decided to go through the Billboard list of the top 50 songs of the 2010's and rate them.

So here's Billboard's top 50 list of what [in their opinion] are the best songs of the past decade:

.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/decade-end/hot-ro...

.. 

My ten-year-old son and I evaluated each song of the entire Top 10 in this list and then check out several others in the balance of that list. We both decided that yes they are better than what's average on the radio but they were just OK and nothing super great. Sure we probably wouldn't change the channel it any of those in the top 10 were playing. Incredibly almost all the really good songs in that list  [ones you'd want to hear over and over again] were very sparsely sprinkled between #11 and #50 and almost all of those were 2012 and before! 

But maybe we're biased. With satellite radio you get to hear the entire rock era and more. My 10-year old son likes the 1950's and 1990's the best and I like the 1960's and the 1990's the best and [with the exception of some of the hard rock and early alternative rock] I think the 1970's largely sucked. So our taste in music is pretty close. We have a pretty good generational spread between us. So maybe we aren't the best ones to evaluate the 2010's. But then again maybe we are because we know what every decade of the rock era sounds like!

In brief summary..............

Music in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzkSg9e3Uw

Youtube thumbnail

Clip from South Park (S13 E1) that basically sums up today's music..... not so much about the music as promoting stuff to make money.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBOp7AUkc0

Youtube thumbnail

Throw in the fact that most the stars these days are irritating "woke" leftist gobsh*tes, and lack the "interesting" stories previous generations have (e.g. Keith Moon's penchant for playing with explosives + the Gallagher brothers verbal outbursts, etc).

One of the rare exceptions, with one of the last of the old style stars.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCUsXy8Tv7o

Youtube thumbnail

• John

You don't actually want to know.  This question just gets asked over and over again, that's all.

People tend to like the music they grew up with. There is a lot of junk in the music of every generation. Memory is selective. We tend to remember the good things from the past.

• Tony B

I'm sixty five and I think there's a lot in what Polly says in her answer.

To me there's LOTS of great music around today but you've really got to hunt it out. In “my day” we were surrounded by all kinds of great music. So many things happened that had never happened before - so many sounds no one had ever heard before. People tended just to play music - no silly dancing about, no silly costumes, no videos. Music had to stand or fall on what it sounded like.

But, that's not an objective opinion - I'm harking back to my youth and everything else that I associate with it.

• polly

I think it's because they have a lot of sentimentality attached to the music of the past & they reminisce about it often.

Music has such an influence & far reaching effect on so many different aspects of our life,so that of itself is enough for them to hold a strong bias towards the music of the previous generations & an inability to accept & enjoy the music of today.

No, there is absolutely no difference in music, you need to get the correct genre.

One need to have a mind state to enjoy the music, else everything is just noise!

They maybe refering to mixed tribe syndromes carry shimmering blades and Chemotherapeutic massages after being pulled from burning bedrooms with rickets ect

I think they call it rap.

But it's actually the babylon chasing Eden after jumping on the ferry to ShineGrill'Arrr to 'Imp'ression the giant kids 4 b0nks.

Fly's like neon lights

None natives waffle faster than the natives