Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 8 months ago

Can a doctor refuse me if I ask for a colonoscopy? UK?

I am sick of being in pain. They do a stool sample and blood test and it comes back normal, but I am in agony. And when these tests are taken, it is usually in remission. I want a colonoscopy to find out what happening. can they refuse me by law?

You can ask for a second opinion so you get seen by another doctor that takes your symptoms more seriously. A colonoscopy might or might not show what's wrong with your gut, so the best approach would be getting a second opinion.That's your right as a patient.

Source(s): I'm a RD
  • Roddy

The NHS will only do tests that a Consultant considers necessary to properly diagnose a clear problem. They are not oliged to do any procedure that you may think you want/need but which does not appear clinically necessary to the relevant consultant.

If you are so worried about things that you want to have tests that the NHS considers unnecessary then you can always go to a private hospital and pay for them.

• kelvin

yes yes they can

• Sam

I don't know about UK, but in the USA, it depends on your age, like once every five years, or the findings from other tests you  have had.  I suggest working with your diet, find foods that cause you less problems. Rather than a couple large meals, grazing smaller portions throughout the day, sometimes helps.

It isn't the colonoscopy procedure itself that sucks, it's the preparation.  If you have had one, you know what I mean.   

Maybe you can change your doctor, a different gastroenterologist.   There are always ways to work around any system.  A doctor just needs to justify the procedure.  Good luck.  

My uncle was scheduled to get this procedure but then he lost his  healthcare because of Obamacare.  He ended up dying from colon cancer.

my dr. often asks if I want one. I have had one. tell them how much pain u are in. If one dr. does not help go to another one till u get a yes.

• Tavy

Yes they can in the UK. It is an expensive process and very unpleasant, I have had it done. If you have no symptoms pointing to a bowel problem, they won't do it.

Whatever you think you have, if it's in remission, it would still show up in tests, there would be residual traces of it. Since it's not showing up in tests, that means that you don't have what you think you have. Instead of going in with a preconceived notion of what you have, why not listen to your doctors and let them prescribe the remedies for what they think is actually wrong with you, not what you think is wrong with you?