Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 8 months ago

Should I try going to college to become a nurse or should I find something different that’s easier ?

I admit I didn’t do well in high school. I especially didn’t do well in math. But I wanted to be a nurse ever since I was in high school which was a few years ago. I know if I take the accuplacer test that I’ll probably fail it and have to take a math class before I can start the nursing program. I also have a learning disability so I was in special Ed classes for many of my high school classes. I looked into a CNA but I’d rather be a RN since that was my dream to begin with and CNA’s do all the jobs that Rn’s don’t want to do. And plus I’d just rather be an RN. I know nursing school is TOUGH. You have to learn so much and it’s such a long process. I just don’t want to go through all the stress of school only to learn that I can’t do it and fail right out of school. But being an RN is my dream... should I take the risk and go to school or should I settle for something else in the medical field that is easier to get into

• :)

“CNAs do all the work that RNs dont  want to do” not necessarily true. CNAs have their own scope of practice. They have a job description, and it just happens to be a little dirtier and more physical than what a nurse has to do. 

I’m currently in nursing school. I’m actually a senior in my last semester. So I think I can provide a good answer, since I know what nursing school is CURRENTLY like. 

I do have classmates with ADHD, narcolepsy, etc, all of which are barriers to their learning/test taking. They get special accommodations, which is basically just extra time on tests. I don’t think anyone in my program has ever been in special ed classes. I’m not sure if you were challenged enough in your special ed classes to be prepared for the rigor of nursing school. Some semesters are so intense that there is at least one test every single week. Some semesters, like the one I’m in now, are more relaxed. However, you’re always constantly studying even just a little to prepare for the exit exam(the exam required for you to graduate)/the NCLEX(the big state exam that allows you to become a registered nurse). 

The math skills you need are limited. You basically only need basic algebra so that you can do dimensional analysis/medication calculations. But these problems are still tricky and it’s easy to make mistakes. A lot of my classmates end up needing to retake our math competencies because they make silly mistakes. You NEED to know how to do this math because it shows that you’re competent in dosing/double checking medications doses. You also need to know how to calculate incidence and prevalence rates and validity and reliability for your research/community health classes. This can also be tricky, but it’s not impossible.

Our grading scale is intense. We need a 78 and above as a final grade to pass the class. That means a 77.9 is a failing grade. We don’t round. In some schools, the passing grade is an 80 or above. Furthermore, a 95-100 is considered an A, but a 92-94 is an A-. A 91 is a B. An 84 is considered a B-. And 81 is considered a C+.  Many nursing schools operate this way. Despite this insane scale, I still have a great GPA. But it would be even better if this grading scale weren’t so annoying. This is something you should keep in mind, because you might have a harder time reaching the minimum to pass based on your disability.

All in all, I would talk to a professional (your guidance counselor, a psychologist) about whether or not they think nursing school is the best choice for you. I can’t get a good sense of your capabilities just from your question, but my guess is that you’ll have a hard time. I can’t think of anything you could go into that would be easier/similar to nursing. All health careers, besides the low level ones like CNAs are difficult and require competence. A lot of people who end up not liking nursing, go into education. So you COULD consider that. Education is definitely an easier major than nursing. But it’s obviously not a health career. 

• Tavy

Sorry to say but before being accepted for training you will need to show you have the neccessary exams. They will require a report from your school which will show you have a learning disability . They won't take you.

Yes, you need to find another career path.

You need to speak to an educational psychologist to see of you can handle the workload.

You admit that you have a learning disability - you need to find out if the disability will interfere with your nursing education, and more importantly, if it will interfere with your ability to function as a nurse - nurses use a lot of math.